Sunday, March 18, 2012

Review: Starters (Starters #1) by Lissa Price

Starters (Starters, #1)
Starters (Starters #1) by Lissa Price

Callie lost her parents when the Spore Wars wiped out everyone between the ages of twenty and sixty. She and her little brother, Tyler, go on the run, living as squatters with their friend Michael and fighting off renegades who would kill them for a cookie. Callie's only hope is Prime Destinations, a disturbing place in Beverly Hills run by a mysterious figure known as the Old Man.
He hires teens to rent their bodies to Enders—seniors who want to be young again. Callie, desperate for the money that will keep her, Tyler, and Michael alive, agrees to be a donor. But the neurochip they place in Callie's head malfunctions and she wakes up in the life of her renter, living in her mansion, driving her cars, and going out with a senator's grandson. It feels almost like a fairy tale, until Callie discovers that her renter intends to do more than party—and that Prime Destinations' plans are more evil than Callie could ever have imagined. . . .
Published in US: March 13 2012
Source: Netgalley
1st in Starters series, 2nd named Enders releases Dec. 12th 2012, the novella Portrait of a Starter: An Unhidden Story (Starters, #0.5) released Feb 14th, The 2nd Unhidden Story (Starters #1.25) releases July 14th, The 3rd Unhidden Story (Starters #1.5) releases Oct 9th.

My Review:
     This is such a creepy and delicious idea for a dystopia! The idea of renting out your body and not knowing what the renter does is so hard to imagine, and just reading the description makes you wonder why you would want to do that. We quickly see with Callie her heart and determination--she does it for her brother. The family bond there is so sweet and I love how that is woven into the story. Fighting for her only surviving family is a motivation that I can totally understand and makes her actions believable and commendable.
    The idea of the Enders is kinda creepy too... not knowing who is a real teen, and if you are seeing the same person inside a body every time. I liked some of the Enders that we met, and you can understand their motivations too.
    I really enjoyed the romance and how twisted the relationships really are. I hope that they are explored fully in the next books in the series because there is so much potential and I want to know what happens next.
    There is a lot of action and I was constantly engaged, wondering what would happen next and what would throw me for a loop.
   Essentially, I loved it and can't wait for the next. Strong characters and refreshing idea.
Pin It

8 comments:

  1. When I first came across this title I thought this cover looked a little spooky, but you're review has confirmed it. I'm ever more motivated to check it out now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is spooky, thinking if stuff like this ever happened

      Delete
  2. Loved, loved, loved this book. I cannot wait for Enders!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not really a fan of the cover...one of those "don't judge a book by its cover" type of things it seems though, because it sounds like a great book. Glad you enjoyed it.

    -lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was premise more than cover that drew me in for this one.

      Delete
  4. I have always passed this one up because I am not a fan of the cover. But I think I'll give it a try. Great review.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)