Thursday, August 29, 2013

Review: Love Hurts by Beverly Scudamore

Love Hurts
Love Hurts by Beverly Scudamore
Mel's best friend Dustin is her dream guy, but she lost her chance with him last year and now he's seeing someone else. Enter Colter, the handsome new guy in school who is definitely interested in her. It's just the thing Mel needs to get her mind off Dustin. Before Mel realizes it, she's spending almost every waking moment with Colter, even skipping volleyball practices and nights out with friends.
When Colter gives Mel a ring, alarm bells start ringing, and Mel worries that maybe they're moving too fast. But every time Mel tries to cool things down a bit, Colter latches on even tighter. Mel can't bring herself to leave him. But she is beginning to wonder what lengths Colter will go to if she does.
”add
Publishes in US: Published sept 2nd 2013 by James Lorimer & Compan
Genre: YA contemporary
Source: Netgalley
Series? No


    Love Hurts is a quick but weighty story. Ultimately I wish it were longer, and the characters and the events would have been more fleshed out. 
    I liked Mel, the main character, she was smart and a typical ya narrator. Though the writing felt off at times, like it was more of an essay or something rather than a flowing narrative of events like I am used to. It just brought me out some of the language that seemed too adult or formal. Overall though, I liked her voice and her story. 
    I am not sure if the point was that Mel realized there were issues with Colter earlier and tried to get herself out before the typical time that it happens in books with abusive or negative relationships, or that the crescendo just wasn't as fleshed out as it could have been. I did like the clues and "mystery" surrounding Jillian, his previous girlfriend though it made it easy for me to spot what the eventual outcome would be. 
   The secondary characters were interesting. I liked that it had diversity with being not from the USA, and with Dustin being on the reserve. The chemistry and build up between Mel and Dustin was actually one of my favorite parts to the story and I never really fell for Colter, which I think is usually an element present in abuse stories, because then we see what the narrator sees in him, and why it can be harder to give them up, which is how it goes in real life lots of time though. 
    But I really appreciated the courage that Mel had, and that she didn't isolate. Although she hid some of her doubts and questions about Colter, she also shared a lot more than most do, and that is important model for girls and women to see and hope that they could do and stand up for themselves in a negative relationship. 
    I also wished for more with the ending. Sometimes I think that open endings are perfect, but it just didn't quite do it for me with this one. 

Bottom Line: Important topic with good narrator but needed more to the story.

My question to you, my lovely readers:
Have you ever lived with a relative?
Follow on Bloglovin

20 comments:

  1. Issue books are always interesting and it sounds like this one was handled well.

    Kate @ Ex Libris

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do like the sound of Mel, and since this book deals with certain issues, it's nice that she doesn't isolate herself. Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've lived at a family friend's house, and I have family living with me before.

    Sounds like an interesting book, but probably could be fleshed out some more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review and as always very honest. Alas this doesn't sound like a book that I'd find to my taste.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like the book could have been better. Great review and and thanks for the honest opinion :)

    Janina @ Synchronized Reading

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never heard of this one but it might tackled some serious issue still I'm not sure about writing. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loathe open endings! It's actually one of my biggest reading pet peeves. Book does sound interesting though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nope I have never lived with a relative. Hmm sounds like it takes on an improtant topic but I am not a fan of open endings, either.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This one sounds to me like it had a lot of potential, but wasn't as good as it could have been. It's a interesting topic though, although I can already see myself shouting at the narrator to get out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love to read books with important topics like this one, but they need to be done really well. The topics deserve that.

    This is the first I've heard of this book, but I may have to look into it. Great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've lived with a relative and in this particular instance, it was this close to becoming a nightmare. We didn't part ways amicably, it was so messy by my takeaway from that is don't trust anybody implicitly.

    This is a heavy book.

    Braine

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow. This sounds like a good read Brandi. It has been a long time since I lived with a relative. My brother-in-law stayed in out bungalow a few years back, but he was only here 4 nights a week, that's the closest answer I have!

    Naomi @ Nomi’s Paranormal Palace

    ReplyDelete
  13. I confess I'm not that for open ending, I really need an end if it's not a series.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sorry the open ending didn't do it for you. Other than that it sounds like a pretty intense read that could be good. Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like the sound of Mel's character and I am glad she doesn't isolate herself and actually voices her concerns and problems. I don't think I would have fallen for Colter either, but I am very much looking forward to meeting Dustin. And I am not a huge fan of open endings so I don't know how I'll deal with it here. This has a weighty topic here as well, sorry it lacked some depth though. Great review, Brandi! :D

    ~ Maida
    Literary Love Affair 

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm actually quite interested to read this one, it's a shame that it wasn't more fleshed out and the ending wasn't that good though, I think that would annoy me!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This sounds interesting but it sounds like it could have been done a lot better! Depth is so important!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What an intense sounding book! For some reason, I have a weakness for books about abuse so even with the open ending, I'm still kind of interested in this one. Will need to keep an eye out for it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The thing about issue novels is that they don't always appeal to every reader. But I do enjoy reading them, because it's usually something unique. Sounds like it could be promising.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)