Saturday, January 7, 2012

Author Interview With CD Echterling

Torqed book cover link
Torqed by CD Echterling


On his fifteenth birthday, Torq Vandermellonhearst, the orphan son of a human father and alien mother, a boy with an intelligent worm living in his brain, learns that it was his parents final wish that he return to Earth, a place he believes is populated with dragons and princesses and hideous monsters like the fairy tales his father told him as a child. The Quest for Earth is a young adult/adult science fiction, dark fantasy, comedy of manners, fairy tale mash up narrated by an  intelligent worm living in the young hero's brain.

How can Torq get to Earth?  The G'Tari people have no right to travel because of the worms, called agzneh, living in their heads.. He has to be smuggled of the planet. Torq's “retired” pirate uncles, Dag and Walt, assisted by the former temple priest Nole au Zhou, the brain-enhanced lizard Rafin and android Lonnie use their talent for swindling to help Torq get to Earth. But what did Torq's parents plan for him to do once he got there and can he fulfill his own dreams of fighting dragon and trolls, rescuing a princess and finding true love?

Thank you Cynthia!

--The Twitter version: tell us about your book in 140 characters or less.
Torq the orphan son of a human and alien, must go to Earth to fulfill their final wish. He believes Earth is like his father's fairy tales.

How did you get the idea for the story?
I have some pretty strange dreams and the characters keep me awake at night talking.

--Which character would you most/least like to have dinner with?
People in this book have dinner quite often (and eat the leftovers for breakfast) Nole au Zhou, a eunuch and former temple priest, turned pirate trader, is a real foodie. Deprived as a child in the temple, he tries to make up for it with his gourmet tastes, excellent manners and stimulating conversation. And he always leaves pie for the server.

--What are some of your favorite books? Do you still have much time to read?
I've been trying to finish Making Money for months now. My favorite authors are Terry Pratchett, Mark Twain, Douglas Adams and Kurt Vonnegut.

--Do you have any other works in progress? Any teasers or release dates?
Now that I've finished Torqed, I'll be working on another humorous science fiction novel I'm calling Courting Corporal Coogan. It's a twisted romance involving Neanderthals, Mesolithic Europeans, Native Americans, a Civil War doctor, pirates, a WWII bomber crew, and a platoon of 21st century peacekeeper on their way to Mars all stranded on the same planet.

--
If a fairy godmother told you your life could be like a favorite book for 24 hours, which book would you pick and why?
I'd like to visit Discworld, but I don't think I'd want to live there.

--Do you need anything to write (music, coffee, etc)? Are there any songs on your playlist- songs that inspired you or that were playing while you wrote?
I'm a tea drinker. I can't listen to music with lyrics while I'm writing. Too distracting. But some of my works have had "theme songs" that I listen to to get into character.

--If you could have any superpower what would you choose?
Sometimes, I think I'd like to know the future, but then again, maybe not.

--Besides writing, what do you like to do in your free time?
I also illustrate my own books and do animation, voiceover and sound effects. but when I'm not sitting in front of the computer , I like to garden.

--Is there anything else you want to add or say to your readers?
You can learn about all my books and how to get them at my website. I also have profiles of some of my crazy characters, sample illustrations and some videos I've made .http://www.welikehumans.com.

I am also sponsoring Torq's Trivia Contests where you can win free copies of the e-book. I plan to run them monthly. http://welikehumans.wordpress.com/2011/11/28/

Lightning round: this or that? This or that what?
Vanilla or chocolate? Butter Pecan
Edward or Jacob? I don't know who they are.
Hockey or soccer? Canine agility.
Ebook or paper? E-book
Salty or sweet? Both with sour in there too
Beach or mountains? Forest with no mountains. I don't like heights
Phone call or email? Email
Early bird or night owl? Either one, but not both at the same time.
Dog or cat? Both, and birds and rats and spiders and horses and ...
Messy or neat? More on the messy side
Ninjas or pirates? Hey, in Torqed there are ninjas and pirates fighting together against cowboy robots and cooks.

Thanks for a most interesting interview. I need tea now.

Check out her site here:


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)