Saturday, April 30, 2011

Review: I'm Not Her by Janet Gurtler

I'm Not Her
I'm Not Her by Janet Gurtler
Brainy Tess Smith is the younger sibling of the beautiful, popular, volleyball-scholarship-bound Kristina. When Kristina is diagnosed with bone cancer, it drastically changes both sisters' lives. Sometimes the things that annoy us the most about our siblings are the ones we'd miss the most if we lost them.

Publishes in US: May 2011
Standalone novel
Source: Teen Book Scene

My Review:

  This was a really powerful and emotional story, about love, family and discovering who you are.
  I'm not her addresses popularity and letting who you are shine. Tess breaks my heart, and I'm able to relate with how she feels and what she battles with.  It's hard watching her learn about her friend, who her sister is to her, and discovering new things about what she once mocked.
  It's really eye-opening to see how cancer really effects the community and to see how even little things can make an impact.
  The family dynamics are well written and very believable. It's hard to read, but at the same time, I can see pieces of my family, my behaviors in each and it's hard to look down at all when you know where they are coming from.
  If you like emotional reads, contemporary, then I'd definitely recommend giving this a read.
I'd love to hear what you think of my review and/or this book.
Here's my video review:



5 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your review, and your video review! I am looking forward to this one. It was my WOW pick a while back. Thanks for sharing your thoughts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a book I'd really enjoy. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review, or should I really say reviews :) Sounds like an emotional book

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review and video review! This book sounds good, hopefully I'll get around to reading it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really want to read I'm Not Her. It sort of reminds me of My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult and I love the idea. The cover's pretty too. I've only heard good things about this one, and your review makes me want to read it even more!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)