Thursday, December 1, 2011

Review: Touch of Power (Healer #1) by Maria V. Snyder

Touch of Power (Avry of Kazan, #1)
Touch of Power by Maria V. Snyder
Laying hands upon the injured and dying, Avry of Kazan assumes their wounds and diseases into herself. But rather than being honored for her skills, she is hunted. Healers like Avry are accused of spreading the plague that has decimated the Territories, leaving the survivors in a state of chaos.
Stressed and tired from hiding, Avry is abducted by a band of rogues who, shockingly, value her gift above the golden bounty offered for her capture. Their leader, an enigmatic captor-protector with powers of his own, is unequivocal in his demands: Avry must heal a plague-stricken prince—leader of a campaign against her people. As they traverse the daunting Nine Mountains, beset by mercenaries and magical dangers, Avry must decide who is worth healing and what is worth dying for. Because the price of peace may well be her life...
Publishes in US: Dec 20th 2011
Source: Netgalley
1st in Series

My Review:
  Ms. Snyder does it again! I loved the beginning of this newest series as much as the magic series (although my favorite by her is still her study series).
  She nails another set of characters, and appeals to me with a strong heroine. Avry has a great voice, and she draws me into her story. I care about what she's doing, and can empathize with her choices, and situations.
  The secondary cast is also fantastic. Kerrick is wonderfully frustrating, and I want to strangle him often. I can understand his motivations to an extent, but she writes a tough character. I can't believe how far he goes with some of the things he does, but I also can see and love the melty side that is well hidden for quite a while.
  The healing is always an interest to me as a main subject, and I love her use of the lilies in the story, and the twists that she incorporates.
  I was on the edge of my seat, and disappointed any time that I was interrupted and had to put the book down. I'm very happy for the chance to read this one, and I can't wait for the release of the next.
I'd love to hear what you think of the book and/or my review.

3 comments:

  1. This sounds really interesting and I've got to admit that cover really drew me in. I think I'll give this one a shot. Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I certainly enjoyed Poison Study, and I totally have a weakness for stories about healers. So yup, I think I'll be checking this one out. Thanks for the review!


    Smiles!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh what a fantastic review Brandi. I have to shockingly admit that I haven't read any of her books, even though they've been on my wishlist for quite some time now. Will definitely make sure to be on the look out for this one. Sounds like a truly wonderful read.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)