Friday, May 6, 2011

Review: Bitter End by Jennifer Brown

Bitter End
Bitter End by Jennifer Brown
When Alex falls for the charming new boy at school, Cole, a handsome, funny, sports star who adores her, she can't believe she's finally found her soul mate-someone who truly understands her and loves her for who she really is.
At first, Alex is blissfully happy. Sure, Cole seems a little jealous of her relationship with her best friends, Zack and Bethany, but what guy would want his girlfriend spending all of her time with another boy? But as the months pass, Alex can no longer ignore Cole's small put-downs, pinches, or increasingly violent threats. As Alex struggles to come to terms with the sweet boyfriend she fell in love with and the boyfriend whose "love" she no longer recognizes, she is forced to choose - between her "true love" and herself.
Publishes in US: May 10th 2011
Standalone novel:
From publisher for honest review:


   This is a very powerful book, and it's about an issue that is close to my heart. I can see some of the same things in myself and in the main character of my book, Meredith that I see in the main character of Bitter End, Alex.
    Ms. Brown really nailed what makes it possible to fall in love with the abuser, and what it takes to stay there. I think at a distance, anyone can say that would never happen to them, but truth is that it can happen so much easier than anyone things. It doesn't have to be necessarily physical abuse, although they are usually linked, but it can be harsh words, isolation, or constant assault of character and looks. This never comes out on the first day--it builds slowly until you feel that the guy is the only thing that's important, the only one who understand and loves you.
    I saw this through Alex, and really felt along with her.
    I like the secondary characters such as Bethany and Zack, and I really wish that I had, and that everyone has friends this close. True-there's the isolation and the tension, but at the end of the day, they are still there for her. I also really liked her boss, Georgia, I just wanted to give her a hug.
    There is secondary plots, that is crucial to Alex discovering who she is like the quest to find out more about her mom, their trip to Colorado, and the different family dynamics that we get a peek at through the different characters.
    This is a really powerful book and I recommend that everyone give it a read.
I'd love to hear what you think of this book and/or my review.
Here's my video review:

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review Brandi =) !! This books sounds great .. I really can't wait to read it now !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds really intense. I'll have to be in the right mood to read it, but I love the emotionally powerful stories. Nice review Brandi!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just like Ms. Brown's last novel HATE LIST, this sounds super intense. I think I still want to read it though because like you said, Ms. Brown is great with crafting believable characters. Thanks for the review and I love that you read it out loud!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds powerful and emotional and not something I see a lot of in YA books. I would read it for that

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bitter End sounds so powerful! I can't wait to read it. Glad you enjoyed it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVED Hate List by Jennifer Brown and so I am very much looking forward to reading this one. It sounds very powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the review! I loved Hate List by the author and I can't wait to read this one. It sounds like an intense read.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much, l SOOO want to read this!!
    I love powerful books

    ReplyDelete
  9. Every review I've read for Bitter End has mentioned just how powerful it is and how Alex's friends play such a huge role in her life. I've yet to read Hate List, but I have a feeling that, and Bitter End, both have this huge, emotional backbone and I NEED to pick them both up. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  10. from the title, I thought this book will be really sad. But when I read the synopsis, I got confused, whereas I have read it many times. My bad english.
    I think I have to find its trailer to help me understand the story.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)