Thursday, January 3, 2013

Review: Between the Lines by Jodi Picoult and Samantha Van Leer

Between the Lines
Between the Lines by Jodi Picoult and Samantha Van Leer
What happens when happily ever after... isn’t?
Delilah is a bit of a loner who prefers spending her time in the school library with her head in a book—one book in particular. Between the Lines may be a fairy tale, but it feels real. Prince Oliver is brave, adventurous, and loving. He really speaks to Delilah.
And then one day Oliver actually speaks to her. Turns out, Oliver is more than a one-dimensional storybook prince. He’s a restless teen who feels trapped by his literary existence and hates that his entire life is predetermined. He’s sure there’s more for him out there in the real world, and Delilah might just be his key to freedom.
Delilah and Oliver work together to attempt to get Oliver out of his book, a challenging task that forces them to examine their perceptions of fate, the world, and their places in it. And as their attraction to each other grows along the way, a romance blossoms that is anything but a fairy tale.

Publishes in US: June 2012
Source: Publicist for review

Buy:
  Book Depository
Blkosiner's Book Blog review


    The first bit didn't suck me on the way I wanted it to. But once it got to Delilah's chapter, I liked her and her voice, and I was sold. I connected with her on a personal level with her being on the outside of social circles as well as the broken family vibe and of course being an avid reader, and that she does it for escape.
I often wish I could be a part of my stories and I have to admit that I have imagined what happens to my characters when I am not reading but it is usually life after the story, not the fact that the characters have separate lives and personalities once the book is closed, and the fact that they live the story over and over with each new reader.
     I love how the dual narrative was done, mixing the fantasy with Delilah's more contemporary setting. It took me a bit to appreciate the actual fairy tale mixed in with Delilah and Oliver's chapters, because I preferred the real time and the voices and character that Delilah and Oliver brought to the story, their narrative and feeling instead of being twice removed with the fairy tale.
    I also appreciate that it was written by mother and daughter and there are strong family ties in the book as well.
     I liked the twist at the end and how it all played out. I didn't see that coming, and the ways that I kept thinking of to get Oliver out of the story didn't work out, but I never really thought about how they wrapped it up.
     Bottom line: Light fantasy from dual perspective. Not your average Picoult novel.


JODI PICOULT is the author of nineteen novels, including the #1 New York Times bestsellers Sing You Home, House Rules, Handle with Care, Change of Heart, Nineteen Minutes, and My Sister’s Keeper. She lives in New Hampshire with her husband and three children.

SAMANTHA VAN LEER is a junior in high school. She conceived the idea for this book and pitched it to her mom, who was in the middle of a book tour. In her spare time, Samantha can be found playing softball, doing contemporary dance, acting and singing in musicals, and cuddling on the ground with her three dogs, Dudley, Alvin, and Oliver – for whom the prince in this fairy tale was named.


My question to you, my lovely readers:
Have you ever connected with a character in your book on a deep level?

32 comments:

  1. Ooh, I like twists you don't see coming! I bought a copy of this awhile back. I should make time to read it soon. Great review! :)

    ~Sara @ Forever 17 Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. This seemed more middle grade than YA to me, so I never made time to read it, but I'm a big fan of Jodi Picoult's adult books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does have sort of a middle grade feel now that you mention it

      Delete
  3. This was a book my daughter's senior high school class read for contemps English...she really liked it. I have read quite a few of Picoult's adult novels.
    Yes, sometimes a character will connect with me on a deep level...i love when that happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Picoults adult novels, that is one of only adult books I read.

      Delete
  4. Ooh nice! I've had this since it released but have yet to read it! So hard to choose the next read these days!

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya. I actually make a schedule... only way I can manage :)

      Delete
  5. So glad to learn that you enjoyed it :) I was also a little surprised by the ending but I like that the story is sweet and light.

    And I truly enjoy the moments when I could feel the click with the story characters - it's like I could feel and see the world through the eyes and mind of them :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you enjoyed it so much. I think it depends on the book but it happens. thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read a Picoult book yet and this one might be the one to try. I also like the duality with the mother/daughter team writing. As for the question, yes I have and I really love doing that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is very different from what she usually writes though, be warned

      Delete
  8. Sounds like a cute read- nice review!

    as for your question, yes, I have! I get a bit attached to certain TV characters too. haha

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  9. Even though you had some issues with the beginning, I'm glad you were able to enjoy the book anyways and really connect to the main character. I also love it when I can't predict what's going to happen in a book, and that plot twist you mentioned that you never saw coming gets me excited. =) I enjoy being surprised in a book!

    As for connecting with characters, yes, I do, but not too often. Some really well-written characters are able to strike a chord in me, and I'm able to fully connect with them. Like I said, though, it doesn't happen that often.

    Lovely review! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not the best at predicting plots but it doesn't follow a formula

      Delete
  10. I've been seeing this book around everywhere. I think I might give this book a try because I've never read a book by either of the authors.

    Janina @ Synchronized Reading

    ReplyDelete
  11. This book in gorgeous in real life but I remember seeing some mixed things so I haven't picked it up yet. I'm glad you ended up enjoying it though! I haven't read a Jodi Picoult book yet but I have a couple...

    ReplyDelete
  12. The dual narrative does sound intereting. I like the sound of this overall. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the sound of strong family ties, definitely one of my favorite themes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have heard some amazing things about this book, so I'm very excited to read it. And this would finally give me a chance to finally pick up a Jodi book. LOL ;p Plus, this sounds very intriguing and I can't wait to meet all the characters! Glad you enjoyed this.

    Fantastic review! :D

    ~ Maida

    ReplyDelete
  15. Not your average Jodi Picoult novel, indeed. I've only read one novel of hers - My Sister's Keeper - and this endeavour into the realm of YA and fairytales is quite different from her usual genre of topics she explores, I reckon. Anyhow, I'm intrigued by this book and will probably give it a shot eventually. Incredible review!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I haven't seen this book before. How could I miss is? And I haven't even read any Jodi's book. Ah shame on me. I hope I'll get to read it :) I'm really interested in this book :) Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't see a lot of build up for it... but I was contacted by publicist

      Delete
  17. I do need a book to suck me in at once, cos else, well it just gets hard

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great review! I have been curious about this book for some time now and I think I may check it out now. I'm definitely even more interested now.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I was 100% happy with this book when I read it, I thought that both characters were a little crazy at times. Think this is me being pessimistic or something though, I just think that if a character in a book started talking to me, I would probably see a doctor, not search for ways to get him out the book!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely idea to get your man to walk out of the pages. I love her books, so I will be adding this one to my list. Thanks for the review! There is a book coming out in March that I am eager to read. The book is called, ": Stelladaur: Finding Tir Na Nog" by author S. L. Whyte. The story is a young adult fantasy novel with romance. The main character, a sixteen year-old boy, discovers he has unusual powers, which takes him on a journey of discovery. Check out the video on the website. It is TDF!!! http://www.stelladaur.com/

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)