Thursday, January 31, 2013

Review: The Selection by Kiera Cass

The Selection (The Selection, #1)
The Selection (The Selection #1) by Kiera Cass
For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.
But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.
Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself--and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined
”add
Publishes in US: April 24th 2012
Genre: light dystopia, (more romance with a different government)
Source: bought
Series? the 1st. The second The Selection #2 The Elite releases April 23 2013, the 3rd The Selection #3 still untitled releases in 2014

Find Kiera online:  websiteTwitter, Goodreads, Facebook
Buy The Selection: Amazon, The Book Depository,Barnes & Noble

Blkosiner's Book Blog review
    The Selection drew me in from the beginning. I really connected with America. I could see similar character traits in her as myself, and then others that makes her stronger, others that I knew she had much room to grow and change. Character development and growth is really what gets me involved emotionally and otherwise in stories, and I knew that watching America would be a journey that I did not want to miss out on.
    I feel like I have read this before. And I can't figure out where. Maybe it is just my readings of Ester or a christian fiction that was based on Ester... But anyways. The addition of Aspen and her loving a lower class definitely makes it unique and puts America, the main character in a more precarious position. I understand completely her choosing to participate in the selection to help her family because while she isn't the lowest class, they do struggle for food. She also decides to do it because Aspen doesn't want to live with the guilt of holding her back. There was a lot of tension going into making this decision, and that was just the beginning of what kept me reading this book.
    The other girls in the competition were fun to read about. Some, like Marlee made me smile. She was so open and I loved the budding friendship between her and America. Others, like Celeste--well, let me just say that she made a perfect character to hate. There are others that I wished I could get a peek inside their mind and their time with Maxon.
    And oh, Maxon. At first, I thought much like America, that he was stuck up and unreachable. But as she got to know him, my heart melted and I was pulling for her to be able to leave Aspen in her past and chose him. Ms. Cass did a great job writing this and set this up, because I was all prepared to pull for first love and forbidden romance, but I loved the interactions between America and Maxon. How their friendship formed, and their bantering and open, vulnerable moments together.
    The ending completely took my breath away, and I can't wait for The Elite so I can figure out where America goes next in her journey, and figure out more to make my decision as well as find out hers.

Bottom Line: Breath taking romance with an underdog main character that I was cheering for with all my heart.

Books Similar to The Selection by Kiera Cass: Matched (Matched, #1) by Ally CondieDelirium by Lauren Oliver, Bumped by Megan McCafferty, Wither by Lauren DeStefano

My question to you, my lovely readers:
Would you want to participate in a process like the Selection?

60 comments:

  1. Yes, it definitely has its similarities to Esther. When I first read this, I had also recently read a different spin on Esther and was struck by some moments that just seemed so familiar. But overall I enjoyed its lightness compared to other dystopia and am excited for The Elite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this one! It was fun. Kind of a dystopian light. I'm excited for the TV show!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As you know, I didn't care for this one. I only thing I really liked was Maxon :) But I am definitely going to check out the sequel to see how things continue. Hopefully it's better for me!

    Janina @ Synchronized Reading

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you liked this, I really did too. Great review.

    Jenea @ Books Live Forever

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was very surprised by how much I loved this book! Such an intriguing premise and Kiera Cass executes it wonderfully. The Elite is equally as great, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just got in the mail and tempted to skip over some in my tbr

      Delete
  6. I enjoyed this too and look forward to the next one, so glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really need to cave and read this. I was totally drawn to it and planning on reading it and then there was a bunch of drama around this and I decided to avoid it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds interesting, I love unexpected endings.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I heard many great things about this one but haven't read it. Maybe one day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I adore the cover of this one; and after your review, I think I need this on my reading list! How can I resist a breath-taking romance and an underdog to root for? Thanks for sharing and for stopping by my blog! Happy Reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't get very far with this book. I didn't dislike it, but it just did have my attention at the time, you know? I might give it another try one day. I'm glad you enjoyed it though! You make me want to meet this Maxon character. Great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally understnad what you are saying... I have been there

      Delete
  12. I wasn't sure about this book. The blurb did not draw me in, but the more I hear about it the curiouser I get. I do like the forbidden romance angle. Hm...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've had an ARC of this forever but still haven't read it. Not sure if it is for me, but I do intend to give it a try one day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've seen this book on so many blogs but I've never read the synopsis until now - it sounds so good!! I'm adding this to my wishlist asap :D
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I loved Maxon! I was so annoyed when Aspen came back into the picture. I'm looking forward to the Elite when it comes out =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I was too. I wish she could've just made her decision and then he shows up.

      Delete
  16. I'm glad that you liked this one, Brandi! I've heard mostly bad reviews, so it's very refreshing to read a good one! As for your question, I don't think that I would like to participate. It seems a bit too much like a beauty pageant, and I'm a little bit feminist. ;) Lovely review, Brandi! (:

    Loves,
    Megan@The Book Babe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not so much a beauty pageant, but some similarities I suppose

      Delete
  17. I liked this one as well, even if it felt quite tv series-ish. I have this thing for love triangles. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just finished this book and I LOVED it. The love triangle made it better. ;) Love triangles are the best things ever. Can't wait until The Elite comes out to see how the story develops!

    Halee @ Confessions of a Book Addict

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was annoyed with Aspen came back in, but suppose he needs his fair chance

      Delete
  19. This is one that I've meant to try, but just haven't felt it. I like that you compared it to Esther. Glad you liked The Selection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I read an Ester spin off and that is what was tickling my memory

      Delete
  20. This one is on my list that I hope to get to pretty soon. It looks like a read that I would really enjoy. Character growth is so very important, and one of the most fun things to watch. I think it really makes us invested as readers in a series. Thank you for a great review! Jaclyn @ JC's Book Haven

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see how much she'll change in next one too

      Delete
  21. I never really had an urge to read this one but I have heard a lot of great things and I noticed at ALA people were going crazy for ARC's of The Elite. I guess maybe I should give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, beautiful cover, and I was lucky to get an arc in mail the other day

      Delete
  22. I have been so interested in this one even though it's not the kind of book I usually read. I love when I connect with the main character in some way, so I am happy to hear it happened to you.

    ReplyDelete
  23. After reading your review, I'm now curious to find out more on America, Aspen and Maxon. Maybe I'll get hold of the book when its sequel is out. No, I don't think I'd want to participate in a process like the Selection. Personally, I don't think it's a good idea to offer love as a prize to be won.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I would want to compete either, but maybe to save my family

      Delete
  24. I keep hearing such mixed things about this book. Not sure if it is a book for me, but I'm glad you enjoyed!

    Teresa @ Readers Live A Thousand Lives

    ReplyDelete
  25. Glad to see you enjoyed this one because I know a lot of people didn't. Marlee and Maxon sound like interesting characters but I'm also curious about Aspen. Great review Brandi.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I really enjoyed this book. And I'm definitely curious to see what's going to happen in the next book. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh Brandi, I didn't like this book. I would've been willing to continue on with the series but we had a visit from a fan or someone who blasted me for not liking this. Then after sharing that unfortunate experience with some of my blogger friends I heard that the author is a little notorious for having & encouraging rabid fans? Not sure if that were true and since I hate drama I stayed away from her books since then.

    Glad you liked it tho.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! I hate drama too. Maybe I am reading far enough out to avoid?
      Sorry about the blast from your reader :(

      Delete
  28. I am so happy that you enjoyed the selection. There have been so many mixed thoughts on this one and I sad to admit that it caused me to push it further down on my review list. But your review makes me want to bump it back up again :)

    Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover always lured me and I liked inside as much

      Delete
  29. I need to read this soon! It's been sitting on my shelf forever it seems! I like your take on the love triangle--it's cool that at first it seems like a forbidden love story but then there's that other love interest. That seems to give an extra oomph to the love triangle--I hate it when there's a love triangle just because. Great review, Brandi!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm so glad you enjoyed this I was actually surprised by how much I liked it, although I was surprised at where the story ended. It made me really want to read The Elite =)

    I think if I had the chance I would put my name in to the selection, I really related to America's mom in that if I was in that society I would probably be a social climber.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'm glad you enjoyed it! The idea of this one sounds really interesting, not something I'd normally go for but I'm curious.

    ReplyDelete
  32. The cover is enough to get my attention. i'm glad you enjoyed the book. Will pick up a copy soon. I;m interested with the Selection game.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I don't think that I would even make it anywhere near the final cut to the 35 in the book. Lol. I have this one on my wish list to purchase. It does intrigue me.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I have seen so many reviews of this book and it looks so good! Just one bit of confusion: is this the first in the series? It is part of a series, correct?

    mestith@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. I think I would. I mean, I wouldn't expect to win or anything, but why not? It's an experience. In fact, it might be kinda fun to go in there as the mole and try to mess things up.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hey,
    Thanks for stopping by my blog. I am now following yours. I had the choice of either buying this or Insurgent and after reading your review I am seriously re-thinking my choice and I have to read this! Have you read both, if so what would you choose. Great Review. Happy Blogging.

    - Sunny @ http://asupersunnyspot.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)