Friday, December 24, 2010

Review: Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Delirium (Delirium, #1)
Delirium by Lauren Oliver





Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn’t understand that once love - the deliria - blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the governments demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy. 
But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love.


Publishes in US: Feb 1st 2011
Source: Netgalley
1st in series, next, Pandemonium releases 2012


**My Rating: 4.5/5**


*My review*
        A world without love. Where there is a cure when you turn 18 and before then strict rules and regulations to keep boys and girls apart. Delirium takes us into that world. The main character, Lena, is intriguing, giving us her thoughts in a fresh and genuine voice. She is easy to relate to- just rebellious enough, just cautious enough. Until she falls in love.
    Alex is shrouded in mystery from the moment he appears in the story, and it is fascinating to learn more about him. And oh, their first kiss. It is written beautifully, and leaves me longing to have that for myself. Lena's journey  shows clearly our longing for love, to be in love, is powerful. Even when she thinks being in love will kill her, she doesn't care. Sigh. Delirium also shows the intensity of grief. As Lena remembers her Mom, it almost breaks my heart. Not only her grief, but what her mother felt.
    While the story is not incomplete per say, I just want so much more! The place it ended left me itching for the story to continue even though there is closure of the main plot lines.
    I was intrigued the whole way through, Delirium is well paced and it is a well thought out novel. I have recently started liking the dystopians, and Oliver has written a unique and compelling universe.


I would love to hear what you think of this book and/or my review.

7 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read Deliriun! Like you, I have been enjoying the YA dystopian genre recently. Thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this book. I just finished my review of it too. It's definitely the kind of story that stays with you. Even though I just finished it about a week ago I already want to re-read it!
    Great review!
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like Dystopian fiction and this is one of my most anticipated books for 2011. Thanks a lot for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! I love Lauren Oliver's writing and can wait for more of this series especially after that cliffhanger ending :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen so many incredible reviews of this book and it has only made me more and more eager to read it. Dystopians can be done really well or really poorly and I'm happy to hear this one is more on the good side.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait for the next book! So sad we have to wait so long to find out what happens with Lena and Alex...oh, Alex! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have book 2 (I think it is for this sereis) anyway, this sounds good, and I suppose I should read the first one before the 2nd, lol
    Great review, and makes me want to make the effort to read it now. :)

    Concise Book Reviews By Michelle

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)