Thursday, March 31, 2011

Review: Bumped by Megan McCafferty

Bumped (Hardcover) by Megan McCafferty
Bumped by Megan McCafferty


When a virus makes everyone over the age of eighteen infertile, would-be parents are forced to pay teen girls to conceive and give birth to their children, making teens the most prized members of society. Sixteen-year-old identical twins Melody and Harmony were separated at birth and had never met until the day Harmony shows up on Melody’s doorstep. Until now, the twins have followed completely opposite paths. Melody has scored an enviable conception contract with a couple called the Jaydens. While they are searching for the perfect partner for Melody to bump with, she is fighting her attraction to her best friend Zen, who is way too short for the job. Harmony has spent her whole life in religious Goodside, preparing to be a wife and mother. She believes her calling is to bring Melody back to Goodside and convince her that “pregging” for profit is a sin. But Harmony has secrets of her own that she is running from. When Melody is finally matched with the world-famous, genetically flawless Jondoe, both girls’ lives are changed forever. A case of mistaken identity takes them on a journey neither could have ever imagined, one that makes Melody and Harmony realize they have so much more than just DNA in common. 


My Review:


   What I liked most about Bumped is the characters. They made the story for me especially Zen. He was charismatic and there is one scene in particular that really made me sigh and melt. I can't go into detail because it's a huge spoiler, but yeah. That totally made the book for me. I wish that I could see more about him--so hopefully there will be a spinoff or deleted scene or something. 
    As for Melody and Harmony, they were also really developed and it was a total case of nature vs. nurture. They had some fundamental similarities from being identical twins, and I think at the core of who they are that shone through. But for some of the others, the way that they were each raised totally changed things and defined things about them. 
    The plot is so interesting! I love dystopias and I think it takes some mad skills to craft these complicated ways of life, and totally scare me to think that this could really happen in the future. Bumped had its own set of terminology and I was a little confused at first, but since Harmony was an outsider, as they explained some of the stuff to her, it also became clear to me. 
    If you like dystopias, I def recommend to give Bumped a read!


I'd love to hear what you think of my review and/or this book


Here's my video review:

11 comments:

  1. As I'm a huge fan of dystopias, I'm convinced I'm going to love this book !! I'm even more excited about it after having read your review !! Thanks !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I loved Bumped! Zen was definitely swoonworthy, but I guess I'm biased to love any and all Megan McCafferty male leads after the creation of Marcus Flutie, my favorite guy from a book ever. Bumped was a fun read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bumped was definitely an interesting read, I was both horrified and fascinated (which I think was the point) and read it really quickly. I'm sure this one will be another of those that people either love or hate and will get a lot of differing opinions which I always look forward to reading! I agree on Zen, I really liked him:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoy Bumped too. Like you, I loved Zen and all of his dialog and I really enjoyed the chapters in Melody's perspective. I started to like Harmony a lot more once she broke out of her meekness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, I'm jealous of you as of this moment for having gotten to read Bumped, because I requested it through Netgalley and was turned down. lol. But, I'm so glad that you liked it, I'll definitely have to check it out.

    And your two year old is totally adorable. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review! I am really looking forward to starting Bumped!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved Bumped! I agree--the characters were awesome! I really liked the setting, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful review, Brandi! This is one of my most awaited books this year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm still not sure how I feel about the plot of this one. On one hand, I really want to read it, but on the other hand, I don't think it's exactly the kind of YA I want to read. I still think I'll give it a shot because so many bloggers seem to have enjoyed it. Thanks for the review :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the review. I have heard some so so reviews on this book....but I have really wanted to read it. I am glad to see someone did. I can't wait to get a copy of this book and the second one.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)