Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Review: Wither by Lauren DeStefano

Wither (Chemical Garden, #1)
Wither (Chemical Garden, #1) by Lauren DeStefano


What if you knew exactly when you would die?

Thanks to modern science, every human being has become a ticking genetic time bomb—males only live to age twenty-five, and females only live to age twenty. In this bleak landscape, young girls are kidnapped and forced into polygamous marriages to keep the population from dying out.

When sixteen-year-old Rhine Ellery is taken by the Gatherers to become a bride, she enters a world of wealth and privilege. Despite her husband Linden's genuine love for her, and a tenuous trust among her sister wives, Rhine has one purpose: to escape—to find her twin brother and go home.

But Rhine has more to contend with than losing her freedom. Linden's eccentric father is bent on finding an antidote to the genetic virus that is getting closer to taking his son, even if it means collecting corpses in order to test his experiments. With the help of Gabriel, a servant Rhine is growing dangerously attracted to, Rhine attempts to break free, in the limted time she has left.



Publishes Mar 22nd 2011
1st in Chemical Garden
Source: Publisher galley




  Wither is a dark and edgy dystopia, beautifully and hauntingly written. I devoured it and I want to read the next one NOW. Lauren, the author, kept me in suspense, wanting to turn the page, and find out more about this chilling world that she created. 
   Rhine, the main character, is believable, and I related with her. She didn't just accept things at face value, she explored and she pushed. She was smart, and questioned things. She wasn't perfect, but that added to her charm. 
   The sister wives, Cecily and Jenna are very well developed supporting characters. They both have their own opinions, ways of viewing life and personalities. 
   The characters are intriguing and definitely drove this story.
   The love story is beautifully woven in and we find out more and more about them. It is unique the triangle and the way that everything is set up. I can't really say much without spoiling anything, but there is much more to both than I would have imagined at first, and I am unsure what I wish to happen. I know there is so much more to be explored and I want to find out more about one in particular. 
   The ending wrapped up the books themes and the plots driving this particular book, but I want more from these characters, to know what happens next. 


I would love to hear what you think of my review and/or this book!


Here is my video review if you are interested: 

8 comments:

  1. Great review! I absolutely loved this book! I read the galley and can't wait for it to be released just so I can get my own shiny copy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wither is one of my favorite books for almost exactly the same reasons you posted about. Super review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed this one too Brandi! I loved Rhine for all the reasons you listed, I was so glad she didn't just accept her circumstance and give herself to Linden, she kept fighting:) Dying for book 2!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay!!! I am starting this one today, and I CAN'T wait!! I love your review, and I don't know what I will do if I don't like. . . kind of scared that I am building it up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that the story doesn't end with a cliff hanger! And glad to know that the character is a relatable one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review! I loved this book as well, I need to finish my review and post it (hopefully today :-)
    NC
    Truly Bookish

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review!! I'm hoping to get started on this book soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just finished this one and loved it! Awesome Review!

    New GFC Follower!

    www.youngadultbookworm.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)