Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Review: The Running Dream by Wendelin Van Draanen

The Running Dream
The Running Dream by Wendelin Van Draanen


Jessica thinks her life is over when she loses a leg in a car accident. She's not comforted by the news that she'll be able to walk with the help of a prosthetic leg. Who cares about walking when you live to run?
As she struggles to cope with crutches and a first cyborg-like prosthetic, Jessica feels oddly both in the spotlight and invisible. People who don't know what to say, act like she's not there. Which she could handle better if she weren't now keenly aware that she'd done the same thing herself to a girl with CP named Rosa. A girl who is going to tutor her through all the math she's missed. A girl who sees right into the heart of her.
With the support of family, friends, a coach, and her track teammates, Jessica may actually be able to run again. But that's not enough for her now. She doesn't just want to cross finish lines herself—she wants to take Rosa with her.
Published in US: Jan 2011
Standalone novel
Source: I read Banned Books Tour


*My Review*


     The Running Dream is very inspirational, and I love books that make me feel, think and moves my heart. 
     Jessica is a great narrator- she has a concise voice, and I like how the emotion comes out in this book. It is fictional, but it all feels real. From the details, the emotions, the responses of friends and family, down to financial matters. 
     I love the message that comes through both Jessica and Rose- do not see the disability- see the person. I love that even though Jessica has her own physical problems, she must overcome her prejudices and notions with Rose.
      This is a great story and I recommend it!





2 comments:

  1. Inspirational? That sounds like a great book for teens and adults. I got to read this one! Thanx for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this sounds so inspirational and uplifting. It's great that the author actually spoke with someone in that position and was able to infuse the real fears and issues that an amputee would experience. Thanks for the review :D

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)