Friday, March 4, 2011

Review: This Book isn't Fat, it's Fabulous by Nina Beck

This Book Isn't Fat, It's Fabulous (Hardcover) by Nina Beck


This Book isn't Fat, it's Fabulous by Nina Beck


Manhattan It Girl Riley Swain is no pudgy wallflower. She's brash, bold, fashionable, and yes, fabulous. Riley has no qualms about kissing her best friend's crush, or bribing her dad's lawyer. But this spring break, Riley's dad and wicked stepmother are shipping her off to New Horizons, a two-week fat camp in upstate New York. And it's miserable: like military school without carbs. But then Riley gets to know adorable Eric, who sees beyond Riley's tough exterior. Soon, Riley might just realize that maybe it's not her shape that will change at New Horizons. . . but her heart.


Published in US: Sept 2008
Source: library
has a companion novel, but you can read it standalone


*My Review*


    Okay, so very different cover and title- and very different YA inside. PICK IT UP. It really is fabulous. Riley, the main character is funny, authentic, snarky, and has some important (and not so, lol) things to say. I love that she knows what she wants, and if she doesn't she figures it out and goes after it. 
    This book deals with the issue of not being 'perfect' size, but being okay with it. It has an important message and more people should listen!
    The side characters are rich and have personality. They all have a purpose and something definite to bring to this book. From her frenemy, to her roomate at camp. 
    I also like D, the best friend. It is fun to go on that journey with her and discover things about friendship and love. 
    Eric is amazing- he is funny, easy to like, and has some amazing lines. I'd love to have him as a book boyfriend. 
    This book made me smile and I totally recommend it.

I would love to hear what you think of this book an/or my review

3 comments:

  1. Haha I love the title of the book! Riley sounds like a character I can like and relate to. Thanks for the review, Brandi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'd pick this book up on title alone, but it is now going on my wishlist because you enjoyed it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen this one around a couple of places... it sounds like it's pretty good, definitely with an important message. I may have to check it out in the near future!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)