Monday, March 28, 2011

Review: This Girl is Different by JJ Johnson

This Girl Is Different
This Girl is Different by JJ Johnson


This girl is different… That’s what Evie has always told herself—and it’s true. Home-schooled by her counter culture mom, she’s decided to see what high school is like for the first time—for her senior year. And what a year it is. 
As it turns out, it’s not just Evie who’s Different. Lots of people are. Many of her assumptions about others are turned on their heads as she makes friends with kids her own age for the first time, discovers what’s good and what’s bad about high school, and learns lessons about power and its abuse—both by the administration and by Evie herself



Publishes: Apr 1st 2011
Standalone novel
Source: Netgalley


*My review*




   This Girl is Different is a quick but powerful book. Evie, the main character stands up for what she believes in and as the title suggests, she is different and okay with it. I also like that she can admit when she's wrong, even if it takes a bit to get her to see that. 
   Rajas, the love interest is really complex, and I really like him. He's interesting, has smart things to say, and he is sweet and supportive most of the time. But there are times when I just want him to grow up and get over himself, but it is a very realistic view of teenage boys, and I appreciate that. 
   This is a very character driven novel, and I really like how Jacinda and Evie both defy expectation in their own ways. 
   I appreciate that Evie's mom is active in this book, and she is involved in Evie's life. She is a very stand back Mom but she asks questions, makes Evie think and encourages her to make her own decisions. 
   I really like how lightning is on the cover and the role it plays in the book alhtough I don't want to spoil anything. 
   I recommend this one! It's a good read. 


Here's my video review:


8 comments:

  1. Great review! I love the cover and the main character sounds like someone I wont get annoyed with very easily.
    -Danna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good; I have this on netgalley and I'm hoping to get to it soon but I wasn't sure what it was about. Thanks for reviewing so that I have more info.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't heard too much about this one so it was fun to read your review! Rajas sounds like an intriguing character, one that will both make me happy but will also frustrate me and I'm a big fan of characters that cause conflicting emotions:) Thanks Brandi!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm homeschooled too (and in my senior year of HS), so this looks like a pretty good choice for me! Thanks for putting this on my radar!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another great book to add to my reading list. :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, great review! I saw this one on Netgalley but hadn't decided if I wanted to request it. Think I'll go do that now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds very cool. :) Thank you for the review as it's a new book for me. :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rajas def was a very authentic character. Just like a real boy. Don't know if I wanna kiss him or smack him LOL

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)