Friday, March 22, 2013

Review: Destroy Me By Tahereh Mafi

Destroy Me (Shatter Me #1.5)
Perfect for the fans of Shatter Me who are desperately awaiting the release of Unravel Me, this novella-length digital original will bridge the gap between these two novels from the perspective of the villain we all love to hate, Warner, the ruthless leader of Sector 45.
In Tahereh Mafi’s Shatter Me, Juliette escaped from The Reestablishment by seducing Warner—and then putting a bullet in his shoulder. But as she’ll learn in Destroy Me, Warner is not that easy to get rid of. . .
Back at the base and recovering from his near-fatal wound, Warner must do everything in his power to keep his soldiers in check and suppress any mention of a rebellion in the sector. Still as obsessed with Juliette as ever, his first priority is to find her, bring her back, and dispose of Adam and Kenji, the two traitors who helped her escape. But when Warner’s father, The Supreme Commander of The Reestablishment, arrives to correct his son’s mistakes, it’s clear that he has much different plans for Juliette. Plans Warner simply cannot allow.
Set after Shatter Me and before its forthcoming sequel, Unravel Me,Destroy Me is a novella told from the perspective of Warner, the ruthless leader of Sector 45.
”add

Publishes in US: Oct 2nd 2012 by HarperCollins
Genre: YA dystopia
Source: bought
Series? Yes, the 1st of Shatter Me series, 1.5 novella is Destroy Me, 2nd is Unravel Me, 2.5 novella is untitled Dec 13th 2013, and 3rd untitled releases Feb 2014

Find Tahereh online: site   twitter   facebook  blog   book trailer



     So I should have started this one before I read Unravel Me, but I only realized that it was addition that gave important insight when I was 2/3 of the way through Unravel Me. But I guess better late than never. So I stopped Unravel Me, and started Destroy Me.
     Mafi is as amazing story teller in this on e
     At first, Warren's voice seemed to clinical and detached, but I told myself, he's just been shot. If there is ever a time... But I kept going because I wanted to see what was so great about Team Warner. And did I find out. There is so much in his past that makes him act the way he does, and it is almost as sad as Juliette's background. His voice sounds that way because that is the way his father taught him to be. He has built up walls within himself in order to lead the way he does.
     But then you find out even more about his motivations, and my heart just wanted to melt. He did so many things that I thought was just downright evil, but when I discover the cause, I have to rewrite everything and question it all through Juliette's eyes.
     The love he has for her, just wow. He tries all of the time to talk himself out of it, and it is sad. I still adore Adam, and I know that one of the two is going to have to get hurt, and that makes me sooo torn. Ms. Mafi definitely knows how to write a character so that they make me feel for them and connect with them.
 
Bottom line: Great novella that gives great insight into Warner.

Question: Do you usually read novellas?

40 comments:

  1. After reading this I felt I got to know him better, and although I don't like him as a love interest he's definitely an interesting character and I'm glad I read it. Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually don't read novellas, but this one sounds interesting. I haven't started this series, but last time I was at the library I saw they had the Dutch translation of it. Hopefully they still have it next Wednesday when I'm going back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. and this is why we all say, Warner, Warner, Warner!!! LOL Glad you read it and yes Mafi's voice is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have Unravel Me sitting on my shelf and I'm pretty curious to see what it is that has so many people changing to Team Warner. Will definitely check this out before I start the second book. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read any of this series yet -- but I will! I usually don't like novellas, but I really loved Sarah Maas' Throne of Glass novellas. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. *Fangirl scream* I SO NEED this one to be published in print! *-* I swear, it breaks my heart that it's not on my physical shelf. :((

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not much of a novella fan, but I did read this one because I heard that it was a necessary bridge between the two books.

    Now you're ready for Unravel Me. *rubs hands together*

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved this novella too! Warner is such an amazing character and I loved him even more in Unravel Me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have yet to read Shatter Me, but I ordered it last week. It's clear that I'll have to read this too! Warner sounds like a character with some very interesting motives, which is awesome! I'm really interested to see if I like him or not. Fab review, Brandi!

    No, I don't really read novellas...I'm not sure why.

    Loves,
    Megan@The Book Babe

    ReplyDelete
  10. Do I read novellas? Usually yes, as I find it a great way to learn more about the characters. I just saw this being added to my local library ebook section, maybe I'll borrow it just to find out more on Warner. Thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sadly wasn't at my library but I had no issues with a couple of dollars for it

      Delete
  11. I don't normally read novellas, but I do want to read more short stories in general...so I suppose this would fall under that category in a way. I'm glad it gives good insight into the character. I need to read this series!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is the only novella I have, and probably ever will, purchase. I have a soft spot for bad guys so I am really excited to read this! Glad to know it gives info for the 2nd book!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really have to get the ball and start this series!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do love novellas within the story. Gives you a bit extra especially when you love a series. I have the first audio and I just haven't started it. Every time I get a chance, something gets in the way. This gives me a bit more incentive to get going on it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, don't you love how life gets in the way... Silly life lol.

      Delete
  15. I don't usually read hte novellas of series but this sounds like its important to the overall series. I so love Warren even though I shouldn't. lol. I feel so bad for him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You get some of the insight in Unravel because I started it first, but this takes to a whole other level

      Delete
  16. Shatter Me sounds awesome and it's on my TBR list, thanks for sharing. Great Review :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have to get this one. I adore Warner... Great review.

    Jenea @ Books Live Forever

    ReplyDelete
  18. This one does give us some insight into him. I haven't read Unravel Me yet, but I did really enjoy this and know I'll probably end up a slight bit conflicted about some things in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I do like novellas and I do read them. You get to know the characters better. I actually started it, not knowing it was Warner's story, but as soon as I found out, I stopped reading it. No matter how mean a character is, when I know there's a reason for it or even if there's not, when they love someone and they get hurt, I do feel bad for them. But I still don't want to switch to team Warner. There are ways to do things, and I hate braking up with guys or just telling them that I don't feel the same for them, but sometimes you just don't. And in this case I hope she ends up with Adam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard to know that one of them will get hurt, but being in his head was amazing

      Delete
  20. Novellas and me...well it can be a series where I LOVE all the books, and then I read the novella and is all meh. So nope

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw,yeah. I usually don't do novellas, but did for this seires and for covenant series.

      Delete
  21. Oh yes I've enjoyed this short story too. After Shatter Me I was sort of team Adam while everyone were crazy about Warner. Yeah after this book I saw why. I can't wait to read Unravel Me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am still Adam, but invested in Warner and don't want him to get hurt. My heart is so torn

      Delete
  22. I've only skimmed your review because I haven't read Shatter Me yet, but you're making me really want to get started on it. I have a few books I need to read first though before I can get started on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, waiting is so hard. Hope you are liking the books in between :)

      Delete
  23. I don't usually read novellas, but I fully admit that it depends on the author. Some of them I love so much I'd read anything they do, others I can wait for the full book to come out ;) Glad you really enjoyed it, Brandi!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This wasn't even out when I read the arc of Unravel Me and they both still worked perfectly for me. I adored how Tahereh's writing changed in this one to fit Warner's personality. I'm glad you enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I don't usually read novellas, since I never really saw any use for them (ouch). I'm glad you enjoyed this, though! I wasn't too blown away by SHATTER ME, but since DESTROY ME is from Warner's POV, there's a high chance I might like it. It definitely sounds like Tahereh did a good job in developing Warner's character - any book that makes you question things you originally believed has to be good, right? :)

    I'm tempted to get this now, Brandi, so thanks for the helpful and great review!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I do read novella's when they are part of a series I really enjoy. I need to start this one soon!

    - Jessica @ Book Sake

    ReplyDelete
  27. AAH it makes me so happy that you read this! Now you understand why some of us have gone to the dark side with Warner. :-)

    I do read novella's when I hear from other bloggers that they're worth my time. Some are definitely not, but this one was a wonderful addition to the series story. So I guess I kind of hang back and wait and see what other people think before wasting time/money on them. Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I usually skip novellas, but this one sounds like it is actually necessary in providing a different point of view about a character! I like that more - that it's not just a throwaway story and is actually useful in the series.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)