Saturday, June 5, 2010

Review: Spirit Bound by Richelle Mead

Description from goodreads.com: Dimitri gave Rose the ultimate choice. But she chose wrong…

After a long and heartbreaking journey to Dimitri’s birthplace in Siberia, Rose Hathaway has finally returned to St. Vladimir’s—and to her best friend, Lissa. It is nearly graduation, and the girls can’t wait for their real lives beyond the Academy’s iron gates to begin. But Rose’s heart still aches for Dimitri, and he's out there, somewhere.

She failed to kill him when she had the chance. And now her worst fears are about to come true. Dimitri has tasted her blood, and she knows in her heart that he is hunting her. And if Rose won't join him, he won't rest until he's silenced her...forever.


 ***Spoiler Alert***

I absolutely loved this story, as I loved the rest of the series. Mead has the ability to draw me into her world, and make me feel personally invested in her characters. It was amazing to see how Rose grew and changed not only in Blood Promise but in this story, yet still kept her strength, sarcasm, and basically the essence of why we love and admire Rose. Mead also brought Lissa to the forefront a bit more in this novel, which did not diminish the story. I love how she really got on board with helping Rose and seemed to finally reciprocate the loyalty and dedication that Rose shows for her in a huge way.

And, oh, the love triangle.I can't make up my mind if I want her to be with Dimitri or Adrian. I think that she has told the story so well, to have me so torn, and not being able to get this off of my mind. Though, more and more I think I am leaning to Adrian, just because he seems to love her and give so much for her, plus I have this feeling that Dimitri will BE the Last Sacrifice, and he will die. I just think-- why introduce Adrian, make him such a major character, and make us love him if he isn't going to end up with Rose. We could have had Mason not die, and be that role. So I know that saying this is making me into the minority but I want her to be with Adrian. I think that she made the right choice by saying that she is REALLY going to give him a change after Dimitri was rejecting her. I mean really-- "Love fades, mine has?" Talk about break my heart. It seems that part of the attraction with their relationship was that it was so forbidden, and looking back it seems that Dimitri was always holding back, and never giving his whole self to Rose, and a relationship can't be like that. It is bad timing for Adrian, but I think that Rose can forget, and give herself to him.

So-- what are your thoughts, and if you think I am totally wrong, sell Dimitri to me again :)
I am so torn that it probably won't be too hard.

Team Adrian blog button

3 comments:

  1. Great review! I have not liked Lissa as much as Rose but I am starting to gain more respect for her character. She does seem to be coming into her own. Rose is still my favorite character though.

    Nooo! Dimitri can't die in Last Sacrifice! :) If you can't guess, I am definitely Team Dimitri. Since he was introduced as Rose's love interest from the beginning I believe they will somehow be together in the end. I do like Adrian's character though. I am not sure how things will wrap up with him-I am however sure that it will be handled much better than what happened with the Twilight Saga. I wonder if the Last Sacrifice refers to Rose since she is the MC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your review!!=)
    I am very excited to read the next installment and I enjoyed this one very much!

    I love Adrian but Dimitri is my pick!=) Adrian has become such an amazing character but seeing Dimitri's passion rise as Rose was being taken. He is definitely back. Plus, there wasnt much time for a relationship to form and so I am hoping there will be something!


    On my blog I posted a review of this one too... feel free to link your review via Linky Tools!=)
    http://lll808.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. nooo! dimitri is the one for rose. dimitri loves her. adrian "wants" her. i just reread spirit bound and this really stuck out for me. he actually tells her repeatedly, "i want you." it's what dimitri used to say to her when he was a strigoi. adrian tells her he has an addictive personality and that he's addicted to her. what rose and dimitri shared was so much stronger, and rose knows it. the moment dimitri appears back on the scene, she forgets adrian, only using him when she feels rejected by D. i don't know what the last sacrifice will be, but i soooo desperately hope you're wrong about it being dimitri!!

    great review though - so fun to talk about these books, even with potential team-adrians!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)