Saturday, April 21, 2012

Review: Breaking Beautiful by Jennifer Shaw Wolf


Breaking Beautiful
Breaking Beautiful by Jennifer Shaw Wolf
Allie lost everything the night her boyfriend, Trip, died in a horrible car accident—including her memory of the event. As their small town mourns his death, Allie is afraid to remember because doing so means delving into what she’s kept hidden for so long: the horrible reality of their abusive relationship.
When the police reopen the investigation, it casts suspicion on Allie and her best friend, Blake, especially as their budding romance raises eyebrows around town. Allie knows she must tell the truth. Can she reach deep enough to remember that night so she can finally break free? Debut writer Jennifer Shaw Wolf takes readers on an emotional ride through the murky waters of love, shame, and, ultimately, forgiveness.
Publishes in US: April 24th 2012
Source: Bloomsbury for review

My Review:
     This is a very emotional story that didn't let me go, with a main character that held my attention and a plot that uncovered piece by piece.
     Allie lost her boyfriend and is in mourning, but that is not all there is to the story. She's forgotten all the events leading up to his death, she doesn't know if she's responsible, her best friend is responsible, or a dark mysterious James is to blame. She isn't sure if she wants the memories to come back or not. Allie definitely got my sympathy, though I really wished she would have had the courage to come forward with the abuse sooner, but I've been in those shoes and I know the mindset, and I can only imagine if the person was dead and it might just seem like you're trying to tarnish his name.
     Blake is such a sweety and I was rooting for him right away. But again, with their blossoming romance that I wish would have started sooner in her life to save her lots of pain, with Trip just dying, I can see how she would be hesitant, and why she pushes him away like she does.
    I also love the character of her brother Andrew. He is so strong in all the right ways, he may have a disability, but he uses his brain and his huge heart for those he cares about. I think that their relationship is so touching and it makes me want to have a sibling. And Caitlyn is such a great addition, I love her quirkiness and how she is so at home with who she is. I love a character who can look past the surface and see the hearts of others, and really hold on to that.
    I really think the title is so appropriate, it is a sad book but in a beautiful kind of way... at least how everything turns into.
Pin It

6 comments:

  1. I think this one might be perfect for me. I love beautiful and emotional contemporary novels. Great review, Brandi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you loved this one too Brandi! Thanks for the great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed this one too! It was nice and I do agree that I wish she would have had a romance with Blake sooner, that maybe things would have been different for all of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true. But I guess it wouldn't be the same story!

      Delete
  4. I love sad contemporary books. Your review has really made me want to read this! Already put it on hold at my local library!
    P.S: I love that your reviews are short and to the point. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)