Thursday, March 15, 2012

Review: Angelina's Secret by Lisa Rogers

Angelina's Secret
Angelina's Secret by Lisa Rogers
As a child, Angelina spent years in counseling learning that Josie, her imaginary friend, wasn't real, but it turns out her childhood friend wasn't imaginary after all.Now Angelina has to accept she's either (A) crazy or (B) able to see ghosts. Wanting to believe in her sanity, she chooses (B) and welcomes Josie back into her life. But even Josie can't help her deal with Shelly, the spirit of a confused teenager, and things go very, very wrong.When Angelina finds herself in a psychiatric hospital, she faces a choice: she can spend the rest of her life pretending to be someone she isn't, or she can embrace who she is and take a chance that she may never get to go home.
Published in US:  Feb 1st 2012
Source: Spencer Hill Press for review

My Review:
   This is such a neat idea! To actually explore the idea of people seeing and talking to ghosts being viewed as mentally unstable. You always have to wonder with the paranormal why this isn't actually at least hinted at, because when I am reading I often wonder what I would think of someone in my life if they actually experienced the paranormal, so hats of to Ms. Rogers for exploring this!
   It is also worth mentioning that this is a paranormal that can stand on its own merits rather than being centered on a romantic connection. While I love romance in my paranormal, it is sometimes refreshing when it takes a back seat. Instead, Angelina's Secret focuses on family connections, and Angelina's relationship with Josie. Speaking of Josie, I really liked her character. I love elderly folks, and especially when they are incorporated well into a story that I am reading. I think they add another dimension to the plot that cannot be fully explored through the protagonist or their parents.
    I actually enjoyed some of the secondary characters like Sam, Josie and Koby more than Angelina. I would love to have a brother like that--he is so protective and they have a tight relationship. I appreciate how he tried to see her side and not just jump to conclusions, while still wanting what is best for her.  Not to say that I didn't like Angelina, she was a nice host to the story.
    I finished this in one sitting!
Pin It

5 comments:

  1. I really liked this one too. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just now seeing this, but I want to thank you so much for the review.I'm so glad you liked Angelina's Secret.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)