Friday, March 30, 2012

Review: In Too Deep by Amanda Grace


In Too Deep

In Too Deep by Amanda Grace
From the author of "But I Love Him" comes a haunting novel about what happens to one teenage girl when a rumor of rape goes around her school. A Junior Library Guild Selection.


Published in US: Feb 8th 2012
Source: Flux

My Review:

    This is such a unique idea for a story! Amanda writes with such emotion and her characters are always deep and have characteristics that are so easy to relate to, even if we aren't in their exact situation. She makes it so that the rumor snowballing is so easy to believe and the circumstances leading up to it are a perfect storm. It really is a picture of what can happen when you tell a lie, which I know I did some as a teenager, some of almost as epic proportions to letting people believe that Carter raped Sam, although mine didn't quite have the same repurcusions as letting people believe that a guy raped you when he didn't, no matter what a jerk he might be.
    I guess that I can understand how Sam let it go on, but I just kept crossing my fingers that she would own up and time after time, she didn't. But I really think that she should've seen what would happen to her relationship with Nick if she didn't tell the truth right away but did later.
   Speaking of Nick, I really enjoyed their friendship at the beginning. It seemed so much fun and I like to see that sort of comradery with guys and girls without it being romantic. But I guess I saw it coming because of the way she said she started thinking of him differently. Though I have to say friends to a relationship really can work out beautifully in real life when done right, because that is how me and my husband were.
   I want to applaud Ms. Grace for letting the ending play out the way it did. I think that given the nature of the book that it really couldn't have happened any other way. 
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. A very topical issue, I'll have to check if this has been published in the UK yet. Thanks for your review Brandi.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)