Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Interview with James Babb author of The Devil's Backbone

Today, I have an interview with up and coming author James Babb.



The Devil’s Backbone. The crops have failed, and fourteen year-old Brody slips out into the early morning darkness, desperate to find food in the foothills of the Devil’s Backbone. A terrible accident, a rescue by a delusional ex-slave, and a journey to find his family has Brody growing into a man… and also wanted for murder.

interview with Blkosiner's Book Blog

--How did you get the idea for the story?
One day I was on a walk deep in the woods, and still managed to receive a call on my cellphone. Afterwards, I tried to imagine what it must have been like in the old days. If anything went wrong, you were on your own because there were no phones or radios to call for help. That’s where The Devil’s Backbone started. Young Brody’s world falls apart and he has no way to call for help.
--Which character would you most/least like to have dinner with?
I would love to have dinner with Ames. He’s big, loveable, and slightly touched in the head…kinda like me!
--Do you have any other works in progress? Any teasers or release dates?
I’m working on a story about a young man with special needs, who gets orphaned in the MD Anderson Cancer center in Houston. The bustling center absorbs him and he gets mistaken for an employee, changing his life forever.
--What book(s) is your book’s “cousin”? (Similar kind of read, set-up or style) The Devil’s Backbone would be Hatchet’s (by Gary Paulsen) older cousin.
--What are some of your favorite books?
Anything with adventure, especially the wild outdoor type.
-- Do you still have much time to read? Not nearly enough! When I find extra time around our family owned business, two teenage daughters and trips to the medical center for checkups, it’s spent doing research. The upside is that it provides great life experiences for storylines.

--Do you need anything to write (music, coffee, etc)? Are there any songs on your playlist- songs that inspired you or that were playing while you wrote?
I like to write while some of my favorite movies play in the background. All three Lord of the Rings work well for me.

--If you could have any superpower what would you choose?
The ability to cure cancer.

--Besides writing, what do you like to do in your free time?

Free, what? T-t-t-time? I’m not sure I understand the meaning of this phrase.
--What is one thing you would tell your 15 year old self?
It’s going to be all right. Oh yes, and buy stock in Apple.

--Is there anything else you want to add or say to your readers? |
Thanks for taking the time to read this. Please follow my blog, like my novel page, and tweet with me.

Lightning round: this or that? This
Vanilla or chocolate? Vanilla
Edward or Jacob? Jacob
Hockey or soccer? Hockey
Ebook or paper? Paper
Salty or sweet? Sweet
Beach or mountains? Mountains
Phone call or email? Depends, who’s calling?
Early bird or night owl? Night owl
Dog or cat? Both
Messy or neat? I like to call it artistically placed.
Ninjas or pirates? Pirates

2 comments:

  1. We do have it easier, lots of things that we take for granted, we've become so dependent. That's a great superpower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rivie Bleu.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)