Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Review: Crazy by Amy Reed

Crazy
Crazy by Amy Reed

He’s falling in love—and she’s falling over the edge of sanity. From the author of Beautiful and Clean, a heartwrenching exploration of a romance marred by mental illness.
Connor knows that Izzy will never fall in love with him the way he’s fallen for her. But somehow he’s been let into her crazy, exhilarating world and become her closest confidante. But the closer they get, the more Connor realizes that Izzy’s highs are too high and her lows are too low. And the frenetic energy that makes her shine is starting to push her into a much darker place.
As Izzy’s behavior gets increasingly erratic and self-destructive, Connor gets increasingly desperate to stop her from plummeting. He knows he can’t save her from her pain...but what if no one else can?
Publishes in US: June 12 2012
Source:  



My Review:
    Crazy deal with important and sensitive material, and as usual I think that Amy Reed writes about it with class, while still fleshing out the characters, making them realistic. This book is gritty at times, definitely keeping it real.
    One important thing that I didn't know before reading--Crazy is written in emails and instant messages. Honestly, I don't know if I would have picked it up if I knew that, but I would have missed out. It isn't like prose, which doesn't do it for me, but it is still a different experience than reading a novel written with narration. I think that something is lost when the emails are so detailed. I am not sure that the characters would have actually written emails like that. Parts of it felt authentic, but others seem like it is there just to give readers insight into what's happened.
    Connor is such a good friend, I wish that he were mine. There are times though that I wish he'd stood up for himself and stuck by it, rather than automatically apologizing and having to worry if Izzy has gotten mad enough to abandon their relationship.
    I really felt for Izzy, what she subjected herself to, and also what her illness did to her. I think that the mood swings and the descent into mental illness was well-written, and I could see where Connor would've written things off when he did, and why he was concerned.
    These characters were hard to pin down in that I wasn't sure if I liked or hated them. They made me feel though, so they did their job. I was never bored, and never wanted to put it down, even when I wanted to smack some sense into the characters, whether Izzy or Connor or Izzy's family.
    The end is like a train-wreck, I could see it coming, couldn't do anything to stop it, and couldn't look away. (Not saying the end is bad, just using the analogy. It was a beautifully written train wreck, lol)
Pin It

4 comments:

  1. The email and IM format kind of intrigues me! I have this one on my Kobo but I haven't read it yet. And I haven't seen very many reviews on it either. It sounds interesting even though it has some issues. I'm actually curious about this ending lol. We all secretly love train wrecks. Can't look away! So true! Lol >.<

    ReplyDelete
  2. good review. My oldest might enjoy this book. She is all about e-mails and such. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was really interested in this until you mentioned it was written in -mails and instant messaging - not a format I enjoy, for some reason i just can't get into books written this way just as I can't books that are written as diary entries.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mental illness is a difficult topic to cover but it sounds as if the author has done a good job. I shall give this a go. :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)