Monday, November 12, 2012

Review: Love and Other Perishable Items by Laura Buzo


Love and Other Perishable Items


Love and Other Perishable Items by Laura Buzo
Love is awkward, Amelia should know.
From the moment she sets eyes on Chris, she is a goner. Lost. Sunk. Head over heels infatuated with him. It's problematic, since Chris, 21, is a sophisticated university student, while Amelia, is 15.
Amelia isn't stupid. She knows it's not gonna happen. So she plays it cool around Chris—at least, as cool as she can. Working checkout together at the local supermarket, they strike up a friendship: swapping life stories, bantering about everything from classic books to B movies, and cataloging the many injustices of growing up. As time goes on, Amelia's crush doesn't seem so one-sided anymore. But if Chris likes her back, what then? Can two people in such different places in life really be together?
Through a year of befuddling firsts—first love, first job, first party, and first hangover—debut author Laura Buzo shows how the things that break your heart can still crack you up.
Publishes in US: Dec 11 2012
Source: Knopf via Netgalley
Series? no



Blkosiner's Book Blog review

   The dual narrative worked well for this book though at first I wasn't so sold. But it gives a unique flavor to the book. I got a sense of both of the characters but not so much of how their stories meet. This was the point of the story that didn't have me enraptured. I didn't have the patience to really see how they connected at the beginning, it felt like I was slushing through, especially the sections from Chris.
    Amelia showed us a young and impressionable mind but a setting one at that. I like that she had other interests and that she wanted to think for herself. As for Chris, getting in his mind was also entertaining. Seeing what he dealt with and how he processed things, as well as how he actually saw Amelia compared to how she thought he saw her.
     I also like how this book captured being young and in love, especially in a love that you know you can't have.
     You could see Amelia growing and learning in front of your eyes, and the character development was great to watch.
     While this wasn't my favorite contemporary it was a pleasant enough read.

My question to you, my lovely readers:
Have you ever fell for someone older than you?

17 comments:

  1. I love dual narratives! As for your question, I have never fallen for someone significantly older. I did go on a date with a guy who was but I didn't realize that until later because I am awful at guessing people's ages.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one sounds interesting. I love dual narratives if the voices are distinct.

    Not sure how I feel about a 15 year old with a 20 year old, though....

    ReplyDelete
  3. my hubby..hehehe he is 3 yrs older then me! I am reviewing this for Feb. glad you enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did, a guy way too old for me. At the time, I thought I could handle it, but looking back, you have to wonder about a 22yo guy who wants to date a 16yo girl. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 6-year difference doesn't sound too bad. It would be interesting to get into Chris' mind and read about how he thinks of Amelia. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us, Brandi!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amelia sounds like a great character. the cover is also so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The age difference does not sound that bad, well if she is mature enough

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a cute romance. 6 years doesn't sound so bad but I've always thought it depends on your age. Maybe if you are 25 and 31 is normal, but 15 and 21, they probably have totally different lives.

    I always thought it was great to like someone a little bit older than you (specially when I was a teenager and boys of my age seemed so immadure), but love is weird, and my love is actually a few months younger than me! xD

    ReplyDelete
  9. I actually don't think that age difference is too bad. This sounds like a great contemporary read - I've heard lots of good hinge bout it. Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yeah! My Hubby is 11 years older than me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm reading this right now and the narrative is... sorta strange. Something I'm not use to.

    I can't say I've ever fallen for someone older than me... I think I have some sort of weird control fear or something but most guys I've dated have been younger than me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The age difference isnt too bad.. I have dated older.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I adored this book Brandi, I read it as the Aussie novel Good Oil, I didn't think much of the age difference between Amelia and Chris I thought it was quite sweet! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, I have :)

    And I enjoyed this too when I read it last year, I don't think the age difference was a big deal and it was a sweet story :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm looking forward to reading this! My husband is six years older than me (we started dating when I was 19 and he was 25), but it doesn't really seem like much of a difference to me. Curious to see how it works out in this book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This books has me a little curious! Haha. 15 and 21. Yeah right. That alone makes me want to read this book. I liked your review and I am glad you didn't hate this book.

    Sara @ Just Another Story

    ReplyDelete
  17. Reading lots of mixed reviews of this, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)