Thursday, November 8, 2012

DNF: Second Hand Heart

I wrote a post awhile back about negative reviews, and how I don't review if I don't finish, and a very wise blogger pointed out that knowing what a blogger doesn't like can be valuable to publishers and authors too. Then another blogger mentioned she did a did not finish post and I thought it was a great idea. So, here we go:

Second Hand Heart
Why I did not finish:
On one hand I really loved the voice of Vida and i wanted to know what happens to her as well as her friend Ester. But I just couldn't get past Richard. His voice didn't connect with me and I didn't relate with his grief. I don't know if it was because I only got to know Lorrie through his emails with her mom or what but even just trying to skim through his section our didn't keep my interest.
Sorry Vida and hope life treats you well!

That isn't to say that the writing is poor or the characters are poorly constructed, it's personal on my end.
I'd love to see if you have a great review of this book and what you loved about it.

4 comments:

  1. I've read a couple of books lately where a character has severely impacted my ability to enjoy a book-such a disappointment! Thanks for sharing your reasoning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really helpful to know why someone didn't like a book. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this book a while ago and ended up liking it, but I can see your point. I didn't like Richard either

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes I do want DNF posts cos how else would I know which ones are not that good ;) In your opinion

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)