Thursday, December 16, 2010

Review: Logic of Demons by H.A. Goodman


Logic of Demons: The Quest for Nadine's Soul


Logic of Demons
What would you do if the love of your life was murdered by a deranged killer? Would you become a vigilante and seek retribution? And would this revenge affect those you care for in the afterlife? LOGIC OF DEMONS The Quest for Nadine's Soul takes you on a journey inside the psyches of men and women forced to deal with the spiritual consequences of their decisions. Through the lives of a demon, two Angels, and a mysterious teenage girl, a plethora of politically and socially relevant issues ranging from the roots of genocide and sex trafficking to child conscription and religious fundamentalism are addressed in this fantasy thriller. Life as well as the afterlife converge in this novel to explain certain peculiarities of the human condition. Whether you are God fearing individual or an atheist, LOGIC OF DEMONS The Quest for Nadine's Soul addresses moral and theological issues of interest for people of all backgrounds.
Book links to The Book Depository while teaser and photo are from Goodreads
Published in US: Jul 14th 2010
Source: from author in exchange for honest review

**My rating: 3.5/5** (liked a lot)

*My Review*


This is such an emotional beginning, and it sets up the story well. I feel for the characters almost right away.

I am able to relate with Devin because I understand his motivations. He has good intentions even though they aren't carried out correctly. Nadine, a central character to the book, is introduced in a unique way. Her artwork helps her to express emotions, and I can relate with her sense of longing for more, and her discontent with status quo. Later characters introduces, Natalia and Jamshidt play a central role in challenging belief systems and making sure that you are really seeing what is in front of you.

There are a lot of plot twists I never saw coming, and I was constantly engaged. This is a very unique storyline and Goodman has a story to tell.

The reason that I can't give full stars is because I do not feel this is best suited to a YA audience. There is cursing, some pretty brutal scenes, and the main POV is not a teen. This does not mean that I do not recommend this to my readers, because I think that teens can enjoy it just as much as adults.

Logic of Demons explores the blurry lines between right and wrong, just and unjust. It also shows what great lengths people go to for the people they love. It also explores how words can be twisted, dressed up to make them look like something else. LoD addresses eating disorders, self esteem, revenge, "frenemies", motivations and manipulations.

My favorite quote:
"...A stunning knight on horseback, whose bow and arrows served to save young souls from the danger of peer pressure..."

I would love to hear what you think about my review and/or this book!

4 comments:

  1. Awesome and insightful review, Brandi! I thought this was a really great read, besides the fact that it was a bit more adult than I'd anticipated :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading this for review right now, and so far having a really hard time getting into it. Glad to hear you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting review! Good job! Hmm...the moral level is more suited to adults than teens? I'd have to pick this up from my TBR soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been sent this for review as well. I can't wait to get started on it! :) Glad to see that you liked it! Great review. <3

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)