Monday, May 14, 2012

Music Guest Post by Karen Schreck author of While He Was Away

While He Was Away by Karen Schreck
This is just something I have to do, okay?" I hear David say. "The right thing."He cradles my face in his hands. He kisses me hard. Then he lets go of me. His eyes dart from me to whatever's next. All she wants is for him to stay. She's been doing pretty well, pretending he doesn't have to go. But one day, after one last night to remember, she wakes up and there's no denying it anymore. He's gone.When Penna Weaver's boyfriend goes off to Iraq, she's left facing life without him. As summer sets in, Penna tries to distract herself with work and her art, but the not knowing is slowly driving her crazy. Especially when David stops writing.She knows in her heart he will come home. But will he be the same boy she fell in love with?
See my review HERE
Tour Stop, part of The Teen Book Scene


Released in US: May 1st 2012

Thank you Karen!

Penna Weaver, the main character of my novel While He Was Away, LOVES music. And during those long months while her boyfriend David O’Dell is away, she listens to A LOT of it.

Here are some of her favorite groups and songs, in no particular order of preference, because preference changes depending on her mood:

1. The Dixie Chicks (David got her interested in country music. When she heard TDC’s song, “Travelin’ Soldier,” there was no turning back)

2. Arcade Fire (complete discography).

3. TV on the Radio (complete discography, especially after seeing the main singer, Tunde Adebmimpe, star with Anne Hathaway in that incredible Jonathan Demme movie, Rachel Getting Married).

4. Whenever she’s getting ready to waitress, Penna turns to Etta James or Koko Taylor. She lived in Chicago, after all, so she couldn’t help but fall in love with the Blues. And those ladies are strong. They’re survivors. They help Penna keep on keeping on.

5. Wilco. Again, the Chicago factor.

6. White Stripes. Really know how to bang a drum.

7. Any Bruce Springsteen, getting ready for a motorcycle ride.

8. Stuff her mom Linda used to listen too, that Penna remembers from when she was a little kid. The Velvet Underground. The Roches. Kate Bush. Joni Mitchell. Nina Simone. The Cowboy Junkies. Leonard Cohen. Bob Marley. Good stuff to paint and draw by.

9. Beyoncé. Because.

10.Any female hip hop/rap artists who doesn’t take any crap.



Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Interesting post, I so agree with the Bruce Springsteen choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Penna's mom has a much cooler taste in music than my mom. Although I'm quite fond of light adult contemporary after listening to it all those years.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)