Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Waiting on Wednesday, WoW


Waiting On Wednesday is a weekly event, hosted over at Breaking the Spine, that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating. I also feature books that may have already released, but I am anxiously waiting to read.

This week, I'm featuring:
Phoenix Island
The judge told Carl that one day he'd have to decide exactly what kind of person he would become. But on Phoenix Island, the choice will be made for him.

A champion boxer with a sharp hook and a short temper, sixteen-year-old Carl Freeman has been shuffled from foster home to foster home. He can't seem to stay out of trouble, using his fists to defend weaker classmates from bullies. His latest incident sends his opponent to the emergency room, and now the court is sending Carl to the worst place on earth: Phoenix Island

Classified as a terminal facility, it's the end of the line for delinquents who have no home, no family, and no future. Located somewhere far off the coast of the United States and immune to its laws, the island is a grueling Spartan-style boot camp run by sadistic drill sergeants who show no mercy to their young, orphan trainees. Sentenced to stay until his eighteenth birthday, Carl plans to play by the rules, so he makes friends with his wisecracking bunkmate, Ross, and a mysterious gray-eyed girl named Octavia. But he makes enemies, too, and after a few rough scrapes, he earns himself the nickname "Hollywood" as well as a string of punishments, including a brutal night in the sweatbox. But that's nothing compared to what awaits him in the Chop Shop: a secret government lab where Carl is given something he never dreamed of. 

A new life. . . . 

A new body. A new brain. 

Gifts from the fatherly Old Man, who wants to transform Carl into something he's not sure he wants to become. 

For this is no ordinary government project. Phoenix Island is ground zero for the future of combat intelligence. 

Releases: January 7th 2014 by Gallery Books

What are you waiting on?

Follow on Bloglovin

22 comments:

  1. Love the sound of this one Brandi!! Adding it to the TBR!!!!

    Here’s My WoW!

    Naomi @ Nomi’s Paranormal Palace

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been trying to finish reading this one. It's really interesting and adventurous. Hope you like it :)

    Happy Wednesday!

    Shane @ Itching for Books

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenea WhittingtonMay 7, 2014 at 10:49 AM

    I really like the sounds of it! Great choice.

    Jenea @ Books Live Forever's WoW

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow... this one sounds creepy and awesome! Thanks for introducing me to it!


    Teresa @ Readers Live A Thousand Lives

    ReplyDelete
  5. great pick! sounds like a really good book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't heard of this one before, but it sounds really interesting. Thanks for sharing.
    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hadn't heard of this one, it sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Michelle {Book Hangovers}May 7, 2014 at 12:57 PM

    You know, I have this book on my Kindle. Totally forgot about it, til now, Thanks for reminding me :)

    I actually read some really good reviews on this book and seen that it has a great star rating! I need to check it too!

    Come by and check out my Wow & my Book Haul@ Book Hangovers

    xoxo Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not heard of this before now; but sounds awesome :D I hope you will love it sweetie. <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. More mad scientists, I love stories where people play God

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my! Love the creepy and different vibe of this one! Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Definitely sounds creepy, kind of a Frankenstein/mad scientist vibe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds really good Brandi,and a little creepy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hmm, I'll have to look at the reviews for this one. It sounds very interesting. I don't think he'd be himself anymore, would he? I haven't heard of this one at all Brandi. I hope you get to read it very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Now his sounds pretty interesting and definitely sounds like something that I would read. Great pick and thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Interesting...I hadn't heard of this one. Thanks for sharing!

    Lauren from www.shootingstarsmag.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow this sounds like an intense story! Never heard of it before but I'll definitely add it to my list. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've seen this on Net Galley and thought the cover alone looks intense! I hope you'll enjoy it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Andrea @The Bookish BabeJuly 17, 2014 at 2:36 PM

    Cool pick! I hope you can get your hands on this one soon.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)