Monday, November 17, 2014

Short and Tweet Review: The New Normal by Ashley Little

The New Normal
The New Normal by Ashley Little
Tamar Robinson knows a lot about loss--more than any teenager should. Her younger sisters are dead, her parents are adrift in a sea of grief, and now Tamar is losing her hair. Nevertheless, she navigates her rocky life as best she can, not always with grace, but with her own brand of twisted humor. She joins the chess club with her friend Roy, earns a part in the school production of The Wizard of Oz, buys an awesome wig, lands a crappy job, gets invited to the prom (by three different guys!) and helps her parents re-enter the land of the living. What Tamar lacks in tact (and hair), she makes up for in sheer tenacity.

Publishes in US: March 1st 2013 by Orca Book Publishers
Genre: ya contemp
Source: library
Series? no


Author stalk away: ~site


    I wanted to read The New Normal because I was intrigued by the hair loss issues as well as how she would handle it on top of the rest of the loss she had in her life. 

Karen at For What It's Worth and Mary at The Book Swarm occasionally post twitter-style reviews. Karen calls hers Short and Tweet, and I am going to borrow that review style here.
Tweet (or two)

I flew through this & connected with Tamar. She was strong and funny and realized there was more to her than appearance- she ended up owning the loss of hair and made it a new part of who she was. The family aspect was well done and could feel the grief of loss of sisters.

I rated it a little bit lower than first impression of a 4 star because I read this a week and a half ago, and don't remember many details besides I enjoyed. 

Bottom Line: Loved the mc and character growth.

My question to you, my lovely readers:
Have you ever lost any hair?

14 comments:

  1. the normal every day lose of hair?? yes but i really don't want to loss anymore, I love my hair so much :D


    Lovely review :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you like it, Brandi! This is kind of different, isn't it? New to me, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my cousin's is afflicted with something similar, and as women we're pretty attached to our hair, so I'd be curious to see how the author and the heroine handle it. Doesn't sound like this book was overly memorable though which isn't a very good sign.

    Carmel @ Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
  4. The family aspect would work for me, but don't know how I'd feel about the hair loss thing, I mean, I can get how it's important to people and it would be to me too, but wouldn't like to read about it I guess. I haven't lost any hair, not chunks of it or anything (though I do start pulling on my hair when I'm stressed out.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never lost my hair, but I don't think I would mind if it did happen to me. Sure, I'd be sad, but I could live with it. Never heard of this book before now, but it does sound like an intriguing idea. It's a shame it isn't as memorable as we'd hope, but it seems like a good book nonetheless.

    http://olivia-savannah.blogspot.nl/2014/11/role-models-dead-poets-society-55.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for short and tweet (ish - I can't stick to tweet length either) reviews! I like the sound of this book. I don't think I've read anything like it before.

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never read a hair loss book bnegore. Sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It made enough of a good impression though so even if you forgot the details, you still remembered how it made you feel. That's still a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds like an interesting read though. Shame it didn't leave a lasting impression!

    Naomi @ Nomi’s Paranormal Palace

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didnt know about this one but it sounds interesting

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmmm... I am not sure if this is for me, but I'm glad that you enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hmmm, hair loss. interesting. lol my hair is down to my butt so that would suck. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  13. typical consistently lose of hair?? yes yet i truly would prefer not to misfortune any longer, I adore my hair to such an extent Get Buy Assignment Online

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)