Saturday, November 19, 2011

Review: Between the Sea and Sky by Jaclyn Dolamore

Between the Sea and Sky
Between the Sea and Sky by Jaclyn Dolamore
For as long as Esmerine can remember, she has longed to join her older sister, Dosinia, as a siren--the highest calling a mermaid can have. When Dosinia runs away to the mainland, Esmerine is sent to retrieve her. Using magic to transform her tail into legs, she makes her way unsteadily to the capital city. There she comes upon a friend she hasn't seen since childhood--a dashing young man named Alandare, who belongs to a winged race of people. As Esmerine and Alandare band together to search for Dosinia, they rekindle a friendship . . . and ignite the emotions for a love so great, it cannot be bound by sea, land, or air.
Published in US: Oct 25 2011
Source: Netgalley

My Review:


   Ms. Dolamore writes a captivating novel, with characters that match the stunning cover. I enjoyed this book and the world she created. I've read about mermaids and sirens before, but I think that she had a unique take on them. I was intrigued by the Fandarsee, the winged people in the novel, since I've never read about anything quite like them.
   The focus of the story is our main character Esmerine trying to find her sister Dosinia, and I love how it shows love and devotion to family. Many stories have gravitated toward the romantic tendencies, and I enjoy more and more the familial connections when I see them like they're featured in this book.
   Not to discount the love story that exists within Between the Sea and Sky, because it is sweet, and I had fun seeing how it unfolded. Alandare is quite an intriguing character, and I enjoyed learning more about him and what makes him tick. It was hard until near the end to really get a good handle on him, and that's a good thing, he kept me in mystery and suspense.
   I loved being in Esmerine's head and could really understand her struggles and where she was coming from. Her pain, her joy and her emotions were clear and it was easy to get in her head. I wasn't sure exactly what she would choose at each turn, and Ms. Dolamore made her conflict real and challenging--she didn't get anything without a price.
   I hope there's more to this world, and I'd love to get my hands on it.
I'd love to hear what you think of my review and/or the book.

 

4 comments:

  1. While I liked the concept of the sea and sky being attracted to each other, I kind of didn't care for the characters in the book. I really wanted a deeper POV and felt we were kept too much at arms length to really connect to the MCs.


    Smiles!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree; I loved Dolamore's unique take as well! I would love to read more in this world as well. I'm glad you enjoyed this book. I did, too! Your review makes me want to read it again :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The more reviews I read for this one the more excited I am about it! I like that there's a strong emphasis on family in addition to the romance, that happens so rarely in YA now:( Thanks for the review Brandi!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds really good. The more I read about this book, the more intrigued I am! Great Review!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)