Sunday, November 13, 2011

Review: The Next Door Boys by Jolene B. Perry

The Next Door Boys
The Next Door Boys by Jolene B. Perry
With her body still recovering from last year's cancer treatments, Leigh Tressman is determined to be independent. Despite the interference from her overprotective brother, physical frustrations, and spiritual dilemmas— not to mention the ever expanding line of young men ready to fall in love with her— Leigh discovers what it actually means to stand on her own and learns that love can be found in unexpected but delightful places.
My Review:   I really enjoyed the dynamic characters of The Next Door Boys, this is a true to life, dealing with hard issues type of book that I gravitate towards, and Ms. Perry did a good job writing it with genuine emotion, and characters I wanted to care about.
   The Next Door boys is a Mormon book, and some of the elements are kind of strong, but they did not turn me off. I don't know if that is because I am a Christian (non-denominational) or because I've read books about Mormons before (Taken by Storm by Morrison). It just seemed to be an extension of the character, and not preachy. That said, there were a few things that I didn't quite understand, but it didn't distract from the main plot or anything.
   This is not just another cancer book though, it is Leigh's story of healing and growing, and yes, there is romance involved. It's also got a strong theme about the love and support of family and friends, and I really enjoyed that a brother got to shine like Jaron did in this book. I appreciated how close they were and it made me a little jealous that I'm an only child and never got to experience that bond.
   The romance, well the main one, and the one that I rooted for, is awesome. It's not a love at first sight, it is a true friendship that gets to bloom, and I just love it. There is a love triangle, and I think that it has a more complete resolution than I've read in a long time.
   If you like contemporary, then I suggest you give this one a try! For similar reads, check out Taken by Storm, most any Lurlene McDaniel book, Change of Heart, Flyaway, or GirL Saves Boy.
  I'd love to hear what you think of the book and/or my review.

1 comment:

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)