Thursday, November 10, 2011

Review: My Life Undecided by Jessica Brody

My Life Undecided
My Life Undecided by Jessica Brody
PLEASE READ THIS! MY LIFE DEPENDS ON IT!
Okay, maybe that was a bit melodramatic, but I’m sorry, I’m feeling a bit melodramatic at the moment.
Here’s the deal. My name is Brooklyn Pierce, I’m fifteen years old, and I am decisionally challenged. Seriously, I can’t remember the last good decision I made. I can remember plenty of crappy ones though. Including that party I threw when my parents were out of town that accidentally burned down a model home. Yeah, not my finest moment, for sure.
But see, that’s why I started a blog. To enlist readers to make my decisions for me. That’s right. I gave up. Threw in the towel. I let someone else be the one to decide which book I read for English. Or whether or not I accepted an invitation to join the debate team from that cute-in-a-dorky-sort-of-way guy who gave me the Heimlich Maneuver in the cafeteria. (Note to self: Chew the melon before swallowing it.) I even let them decide who I dated!
Well, it turns out there are some things in life you simply can’t choose or have chosen for you—like who you fall in love with. And now everything’s more screwed up than ever.
But don’t take my word for it, read the book and decide for yourself. You’ll laugh, you’ll cry, you’ll scream in frustration. Or maybe that’s just me. After all, it’s my life.
Published in US: Jun 7th 2011
Source: Won from Ashley (bookaholics anonymous)

My Review:

    Once I read the description, I knew that I had to read this, and My Life Undecided did not disappoint. It is such a neat and original premise, and Ms. Brody executes it amazingly.
    It actually started out with a much more serious problem than I anticipated, but the main character, Brooks had a voice that kept me entertained, and managed to keep it lighthearted.
    The characters were great, and it was fun to watch Brooks learn from her blog readers' input and how she grew into making her own decisions. Her best friend turned frenemy was well written and she really fit into her role. Her crushes, Brian and Hunter were completely different and desirable in their own ways. Another secondary character, Ms. Moody was great. I love how elderly have been featured in a few YA books recently, they have so much to offer, and I love old people.
     It was fun to watch everything play out, try to figure out what the readers would pick for her, and how she reacts to her new experiences and choices she otherwise wouldn't have made.
    This is a spectacular contemporary, with lots of laughs and some tender serious moments sprinkled in.

I'd love to hear what you think of the book and/or my review. For similar types of reads, you can click on the contemporary label below or try Anna and the French Kiss, A Match made in high school.

5 comments:

  1. This sounds like a fun book! I don't think I've read anything like it, and I love that. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure I've heard of this one, sounds good though. Thanks for the review. You mentioned Anna and The French Kiss and I just finished Lola and the Boy Next door last night and LOVED, LOVED it. I think I liked it even more than Anna. Great review! Have a great weekend! Shari (My Neurotic Book Affair)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This does sound like a fun read! I really liked The Karma Club, so I'm sure I'll love this book, too. And since you mentioned Anna and the French Kiss, can I just say (for the millionth time it seems like) how much I love and adore that book?! :D Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been wanting to read this one since I first heard about it. I can only imagine the bad choices someone could make based solely on an internet pole. Definitely looking forward to seeing the trouble Brooks attracts through this plan!


    Smiles!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG I sooo LOVE this book! I know it's a little juvenile for me but it was so entertaining and frickin hilarious!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)