Friday, August 6, 2010

Review: Flyaway Lucy Christopher

FlyawayFlyaway by Lucy Christopher

Link goes to and teaser from Goodreads.com

" In this touching novel for ages 10+, Lucy Christopher explores the remarkable bond between a young girl, a boy and a damaged wild bird - a relationship that will touch everyone who reads it. While visiting her father in hospital, thirteen-year-old Isla meets Harry, the first boy to understand her and her love of the outdoors. But Harry is ill, and as his health fails, Isla is determined to help him in the only way she knows how. Together they watch a lone swan struggling to fly on the lake outside Harry's window. Isla believes that if she can help the damaged swan, somehow she can help Harry. And in doing so, she embarks upon a breathtakingly magical journey of her own."

**My rating: 5 of 5 stars**

*My short but sweet review*


This is a sweet and heart-wrenching book. Isla, the narrator has a compelling voice, and is very likeable- she is selfless, and her relationship with her family is very strong. Harry, the sick boyfriend, though really shines.
Their blooming relationship is innocent, and it is fun to watch it unfold. The loner swan brings them together and parallels their adventure.

Spoiler below! (highlight to read- I know I can't avoid spoilers so this is to try and help other addicts like me)
The only thing I don't like is that it did not give me closure on whether Harry makes it through his transplant. But then again, sometimes the open ended ending really is the best, because you are always rooting for the patient to pull through and for the romance to continue, but as Lurlene McDaniel has proved, there is just something about death that can also make a perfect ending, because it is sad, beautiful, and reflects reality. But, I don't know about real statistics, but the book said 50/50 chance, so in the end it is left to the reader to decide, or you can take her dream of Harry being a swan and migrating as he didn't pull through, or you can find hope in his text and say that he did.


I would love to hear what you think, and if you have written a review feel free to link and I will check it out.

4 comments:

  1. I saw it at my library and wanted to get it.
    and now I will! GREAT review

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking here's another one to be added to my wishlist. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a tearjerker. It's a good thing that I enjoy a good cry every once in a while. I'm adding this one to my TBR pile. Thanks for the review and for blacking out the spoilers :D

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)