Monday, August 30, 2010

Review: Blindsided by Cummings

BlindsidedBlindsided by Priscilla Cummings

Link goes to and teaser from Goodreads.com

"In many ways, Natalie O’Reilly is a typical fourteenyear- old girl. But a routine visit to the eye doctor produces devastating news: Natalie will lose her sight within a few short months. Suddenly her world is turned upside down. Natalie is sent to a school for the blind to learn skills such as Braille and how to use a cane. Outwardly, she does as she’s told; inwardly, she hopes for a miracle that will free her from a dreaded life of blindness. But the miracle does not come, and Natalie ultimately must confront every blind person’s dilemma. Will she go home to live scared? Or will she embrace the skills she needs to make it in a world without sight?"

**My rating: 4 of 5 stars**

*My short and sweet review*


I enjoyed this one, as I do most stories of this type. Cummings has a good voice, and she wrote pretty well developed characters. Natalie is a realistic character, and I could understand what she must have felt and gone through. I got to watch her grow, accept, and her desire to overcome shine through in the end.

Some of the events in the book could have been foreshadowed a little less and they would have had a greater effect on me, but that doesn't detract too much. I also wish that I could have gotten to know Bree a little better, but as Natalie said it should be for both her and me maybe a mourning of what could have been.

I felt for her when Meredith was struggling with the friendship, and Natalie just wanted her to be there, but I am glad that they were able to bond more in the end.

Cummings also hinted at two possible relationship interests, and I wish that would have been explored a little more-- then I could have stayed in this universe a little longer, which I would have been happy about. It was over too soon!

I would love to hear what you think and if you have reviewed, feel free to link yours and I will read and comment. :)

2 comments:

  1. I've never read of this one, but it certainly sounds like something I would enjoy...excellent review! :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)