Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Review: Penitence by Jennifer Laurens

Penitence (Heavenly, #2)Penitence by Jennifer Laurens

Link goes to and teaser from Goodreads.com

"Seeing good and evil spirits is a gift Zoe guards with her life.
Despite her guardian angel’s disappearance, Zoe forces herself to accept that she still has a purpose—but how does she carry the weight of her brother’s drug abuse, the hardship of living with an autistic sister, and a best friend who’s obsessed with a guy who only wants Zoe?

She’s never felt more alone.

When a mysterious spirit appears, Zoe thinks she has a new guardian angel. Instead, her brother’s addiction worsens, her parents are on the brink of separation, and her best friend tries to kill her. The spirit she thinks is her new guardian isn’t there to protect her: he’s out to destroy her family and seize Zoe’s soul. . . for Hell.

Will Matthias’ return mean that he is Zoe’s guardian angel again? Or is their love the reason the jaws of Hell now gape open?"


**My rating: 5 of 5 stars**

*My review*

I devoured this one and am aching for the next! This was more than a placeholder for the next in the series, so much happened and we are forced into a impossible decision!!

I am still trying to reconcile my image of Weston in this book to who he was and what he did in the last book. So I am still wanting her to chose Matthais. But such a different side of Weston comes out in this book, and if it were just another person, I would want for her to have her human love and experiences with him, but I just can't let it go.

The new character in this book is hateful, but he is meant to be, so it is well written. I just want to strangle him! But Matthais' ability to love and forgive really shines in this book, and leaves you in awe.

I really feel for Zoe-- the feelings for Weston are at war with what she feels for and has been with in her experiences with Matthais. Her love for Abria is also realistic- she doesn't suddenly have fake love, but a real and accepting love for her.

I can't really say much more except this is a great series! You should read Heavenly, and this one and then join me in the wait for Absolution!



I would love to hear what you think and if you have written a review, feel free to link it and I will comment and discuss with you!

4 comments:

  1. I love this series too!! Here's my review: http://anotherbookjunkie.blogspot.com/2010/07/double-review-heavenly-and-penitence-by.html

    Jennifer mentioned in the live chat a few days ago that she MAY be giving away ARCs when she gets them, so if you aren't following her blog(jenniferlaurens.blogspot.com), you should be!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought Chase would be the love interest too! I was quite surprised when he wasn't. I really hope he pulls away from Britt, but her...I didn't like her very much from the start. Something was just weird about her. But I do hope she escapes it alive...Jennifer says Absolution is a satisfying ending, I can't wait to find out for myself!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I have an award for you over at my blog!!
    http://thethoughtsofabookjunky.blogspot.com/2010/08/one-lovely-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)