Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Review: Annexed by Sharon Dugar

AnnexedAnnexed by Sharon Dogar

Release October 2010 (US)

Title link and description from Goodreads.com

"

description
Everyone knows about Anne Frank and her life hidden in the secret annex – but what about the boy who was also trapped there with her?

In this powerful and gripping novel, Sharon Dogar explores what this might have been like from Peter’s point of view.  What was it like to be forced into hiding with Anne Frank, first to hate her and then to find yourself falling in love with her?   Especially with your parents and her parents all watching almost everything you do together.   To know you’re being written about in Anne’s diary, day after day?   What’s it like to start questioning your religion, wondering why simply being Jewish inspires such hatred and persecution?  Or to just sit and wait and watch while others die, and wish you were fighting.

As Peter and Anne become closer and closer in their confined quarters, how can they make sense of what they see happening around them?

Anne’s diary ends on August 4, 1944, but Peter’s story takes us on, beyond their betrayal and into the Nazi death camps.  He details with accuracy, clarity and compassion the reality of day to day survival in Auschwitz – and ultimately the horrific fates of the Annex’s occupants."

**My rating: 4 of 5 stars**

*My short but sweet review*


This is a haunting book. It is also a very creative idea, and I was entralled in the journey, and even knowing that these characters did not meet a favorable end, I was still rooting for them and wishing otherwise.
I enjoyed getting a fresh perspective on these well known characters, and it felt it could be real.
The only issue I had was the chapter headings-- they felt flat to me. Other than that I highly recommend, it is emotional and powerful!


I would love to hear what you think, and if you have written a review, feel free to link and I will check it out.

5 comments:

  1. I've heard about this book but I haven't read it. I can't wait until its released! I'm big on history.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard about this. It seems like it would be hard to do sensitively...or I suppose, I would naturally feel guilty if I was the writer. Even though there's no reason to be. I don't know...my thoughts are mixed up. Glad it was a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it was handled really well. Maybe talked a bit more about wanting to have sex than necessary, but I suppose it IS from the mind of a teenage boy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have this one coming in the mail. Looks very interesting. Such a sad tale!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)