Sunday, August 1, 2010

Review; The Light of Asteria

The Light of Asteria: Kailmeyra's Last Hope (Kailmeyra, #1) The Light of Asteria: Kailmeyra's Last Hope by Elizabeth Isaacs

Release:Mar 20, 2010
1st book in series, the next The Secrets of the Keepers: Kailmeyra's Strength will be released Fall 2011

Elizabeth Isaacs website

Link goes to Book Depository and teaser from Goodreads.com

"If Nora Johnson hadn't been on campus that day she would have never known her true destiny. Helping her friends move into the dorm that she wanted to call home, Nora accidentally collides with mysterious stranger, Gavin Frey. His very first touch sends flames through her heart. The world seems different-something within her has changed. Nora tries to resume her mundane life, but she is now consumed with the one whose very presence ignited her soul, the one with eyes of emerald. Nora soon learns that an energy buried deep within has been unleashed. She now wields unimaginable power and has become Gavin's source, his strength.
Her newfound joy is shaken when she discovers that Gavin is not who he appears to be and she has been thrust in the middle of a war of mythical proportions. Negativity has allowed all things evil to flourish, the earth is under siege. The fate of creation hinges on the power within her heart. Will she be strong enough to survive?
A gripping tale of unbounded love and ancient power, The Light of Asteria will take you on an epic adventure filled with war, treachery, and demons, as well as unimaginable delights."


**My rating: 5 of 5 stars**

*My Review*


Everyone should pick up a copy of this novel, and read it, then poke Elizabeth to write and get the next one released sooner :D

This is a truly lyrical novel. The words flow over the page and the pacing is wonderful. It also keeps me guessing, feeding me a little information at a time, enough to keep me hungry for more. It provoked many emotions from me, making me laugh, tear up, feel joy, sorrow, and everything else in between.
This is another of the love at first sight, and touch but it has a paranormal element, so that makes it a little better for me. They both have “gifts” and these gifts are amplified concerning one another. I like though that it feels like a pure relationship, there is just something different (good) about the way their interactions are written, be it dialogue or actions.
The love that Nora and Gavin have and develop is something that I long for and that I hope that my own daughter, like Elizabeth's, finds one day. It makes me ache for the purity and the strength of their love even through trials.
The characters are beautifully conveyed. Nora is a great protagonist, she narrates beautifully and she is easy to relate to. Her strength, love and ability to understand and forgive all make her lovely. Gavin is a heart-throb and going on my top 10 literary crushes. He is not a bad boy- he communicates and is emotionally real. He helps Nora to learn that she is valuable- for who she is not what she does and who she is to others. This is a wonderful message and I wish that all women could learn this lesson and have someone so awesome to help teach it to them. They built each other up and help to highlight the best in the other, and encouraged the bettering of themselves too.,
As far as secondary characters, they were amazing as well. Rena is a wonderful addition; funny and the type of best friend that I could only hope to have. Edna is a pleasant surprise, being a strong presence in Nora's life, whereas many YA novels have conveniently absent parents. The way that she cares for and took in Nora is commendable, and I love seeing their relationship played out and the sacrifices they will make for each other.  I don’t quite understand the purpose of Holly and Kate unless just a way to meet Gavin, but it seems there would be another way. With as close as it made them out to be, they are absent; however the friendship between Nora and Rena that develops is sweet, and completely makes up for it.
Elizabeth writes so that her fantasy world just seems so real to me, and the characters feel so alive. I feel like I am taking part in this awesome story.
I love her message that even though there may be a bit of dark in us all, it is all about how we chose to respond, and how we can love and live and overcome, letting the light shine through. I also appreciate that fighting this darkness is a constant struggle, as it is in real life, but that the struggle itself does not make you bad, the fight can help to make you stronger.
The story has it all- an amazing love story, friendship, the moral that love prevails, good vs evil, magic, and mystery.

I have been thinking about this book ever since I put it down, and  I recommend this to anyone and everyone!!
I would love to hear what you think and if you have written a review, feel free to link and I will check it out.

Here's my video review:

27 comments:

  1. This books going on my to-be-read list! Thanks for the great review!

    p.s. I love the new look of your blog! It's very cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! I like it too :)

    I am glad to have added to your TBR-- in case you didn't notice, I really enjoyed this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved it too! :D I'm glad you enjoyed it. I got a review copy from Elizabeth. It got 4.5/5 for me...only because the beginning was a bit slow and sleepy for me. *shrugs shoulders* I want to buy a copy, but it's a bit expensive for me right now. Might ask for it for Christmas, though!

    Do you know when "The Secret of the Keepers: Kailmeyra's Strength"- Book II- comes out?

    Also, Isaacs told me that she wrote the book to tell her daughter what true love is like, and that it was her daughter that urged her to get it published. I thought that was pretty sweet. :) I can't wait to hear some more news about the second book. I've no doubts it'll be amazing, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good morning,
    Thaks your for such a great review, this looks like a book that will have to make it to my library. Keep the reviews coming, It is great to find the gems out there that we may not stumble across in our own quest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh, this sounds super fabulous. Will be adding it to my books to read pile - that's for sure :) Can't believe I haven't heard of this book yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will definitely have to check this out.

    I just awarded you the Versatile Blogger Award.
    Alison Can Read Awards

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like I need to move this up in my TBR :)

    Great new look!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haven't read a review on this one yet but definitely going on my list. Thanks for the recommendation and for stopping by from Follow Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a winner! Hopefully my library has a copy. :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't believe that I've not heard of this before. I'll definitely be adding it to my wishlist after such an awesome review. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds really awesome. I enjoy lyrically written books, so I think I'll have to try this out. Thanks for the review! :]

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW! I love your enthusiasm over this book. I've heard of it, but the cover didn't really excite me, but now I will add it to my TBR list. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your review is as lyrical as you tell us the book is. Just that makes it a very tempting read for someone who doesn't normally do the paranormal/supernatural/mythic genre. Great review! I enjoyed reading it very much.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have this book on my Kindle but haven't had a chance to read it yet. Now, I'm really looking forward to it. All the reviews I have seen have been as glowing as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! What a review! I hadn't heard much about it so you just put it on my radar. I'll definitely be watching for it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice to hear that the mom plays an important role in Nora's life. It's irritating the way so many YA books these days write off the parents and focus exclusively on the love interest, but this one sounds like it has good supporting characters. Thanks for the review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like the review! I was not sure what to think of this, based on the synopsis, but your interview made it seem like something I would be into.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This sounds like a great read! I've been interested in it for a while, but this review just bumped it up to active interest! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a wonderful review! This is going on my TBR list! Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow! Awesome review :) I haven't heard much about this book, so thanks for putting it on my radar, definitely going on my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  23. 5/5 stars, wow. This sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Awesome review! I would love books where you can get emotionally invested in the characters! Count me in!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)