Monday, September 3, 2012

Review: Breathe by Sarah Crossan

Breathe (Breathe, #1)
Breathe by Sarah Crossan
Inhale. Exhale. Breathe. Breathe. Breathe . . .
The world is dead.
The survivors live under the protection of Breathe, the corporation that found a way to manufacture oxygen-rich air.
ALINA
has been stealing for a long time. She’s a little jittery, but not terrified. All she knows is that she’s never been caught before. If she’s careful, it’ll be easy. If she’s careful.
QUINN
should be worried about Alina and a bit afraid for himself, too, but even though this is dangerous, it’s also the most interesting thing to happen to him in ages. It isn’t every day that the girl of your dreams asks you to rescue her.
BEA
wants to tell him that none of this is fair; they’d planned a trip together, the two of them, and she’d hoped he’d discover her out here, not another girl.
And as they walk into the Outlands with two days’ worth of oxygen in their tanks, everything they believe will be shattered. Will they be able to make it back? Will they want to?
Publishes in US: Oct 2nd 2012
1st in Breathe series, 2nd releases in 2013
Source: author/Greenwillow (HarperCollins)



Blkosiner's Book Blog review
     In short: This is a fast and action packed story with an awesome premise, and characters that I wanted to succeed.
     At first the three perspectives confused me, especially the two girls, but I quickly got a hang of their voices and style as well as their backgrounds. I think at first I would've wanted to be in their heads a little longer, but I also think that the positive side is that we get to see how things connect. I was drawn in by the premise and by the characters especially when I got a feel for where they were coming from and a sense of their personalities.
      I quickly grew to love seeing the world from these three separate perspectives. Quinn is a premium (read: privileged and rich) and through fascination with Alina, a beautiful mysterious girl, learns that his world is not as it seems, and finds the longing for freedom. I really appreciated watching him grow and realize who his true feelings are for.
     Alina is passionate and strong. Seeing things from her perspective, as the one working for the resistance in the beginning, and watching her soften towards her traveling companions was quite a journey. It was easy to sympathize with her, the guilt she carries and the responsibility she all too acutely carries on her shoulders.
    Bea is kind-hearted and has such empathy for others, when she could easily feel so sorry for herself growing up as a lesser citizen, not being able to run or do anything that requires extra oxygen which costs money. I think that her personality and ways of thinking is closest to my own, and I connected the most personally with her. I could also totally feel for her unrequited love for Quinn at the beginning.
     This is such a chilling dystopian society. I can't imagine having to think about every breath. I also can't imagine being manipulated and lied to so much by the government.
    The resistance group is so easy to relate to and root for, and I loved watching them get stronger and as the new members realize the extent of Breathe (the government in the Pod)'s deception.
    I tore through this book, due to the great writing and superb pacing. There was always something going on, action as well as internal character struggles and growth. There were moments when I wanted to cry for the characters, others I wanted to cheer for them, and then others where I felt anger for them because of Breathe's actions.
    While the storyline of this book was tied up pretty well, it still left me yearning for the sequel. I wanted to know what would happen next, and what becomes of the characters I'd come to care for.

Video review:

More about the book:

To pre-order 'Breathe' in the US click here. For a UK purchase, click here. Alternatively, visit your local bookshop where a smiling bookseller will be happy to help you!
To add 'Breathe' to your Goodreads list, click here.

More about Sarah:
Twitter  
 Facebook  
Site
Sarah Crossan profile image
Sarah Crossan is Irish. She graduated from Warwick University in 1999 with a degree in Philosophy and Literature.
She went on to train as an English and Drama teacher at Cambridge University and since then has been working to promote creative writing in schools. She currently teaches high school English at a small private school in Hoboken, New Jersey.
As well as teaching, Sarah has worked as a freelance magazine writer and book reviewer and educational writer. She completed her Masters in Creative Writing at The University of Warwick in 2003 and at this time began to write fiction seriously.
In 2010 she was the recipient of an Edward Albee Fellowship and spent the summer in Montauk, New York, working to complete THE WEIGHT OF WATER.

My question to you, my lovely readers:
Would you leave only guaranteed to survive two days?
Pin It

23 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read this book and after reading your review I can't wait even more! It seems that the book has everything, great and new dystopian story and as well as great characters. That triple POV seems exciting!
    I one word - I cannot wait!
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took a bit to get used to triple POV but then I loved it.

      Delete
  2. My granddad always said that someday someone would find a way to sell us the very air we breathed.

    Great post, I'll be sure to keep an eye out for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the sound of this, I can't wait to read it for myself! I am a big fan of dystopia. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sort of terrifies me, since suffocation is pretty much my greatest fear. But I think that's what draws me to this book. When I read your line about thinking about every breath, I actually had to breathe, just to remind myself that I could. I'm excited to read about a world where that's not taken for granted.

    C.J.
    Sarcasm&Lemons

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes please on freaky futures :D I like them...a lot

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you enjoyed this, Brandi! I agree that it was exciting and chilling. I had some issues with the characters at first, but then grew to like them better. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds really good! I'm glad you're so excited by it, Brandi. I really want to read a fast-paced and chilling novel. I tend to find dystopia novels are the ones which have a quicker pace. I've been yearning for something faster for a while.
    I may just have to pick this one up when it comes out after the other less excited reviews, I really want to read it now after your review.
    Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so glad you liked this, it is on my wishlist and your review secures it's place. I am excited about the three pov's and the fact that you loved the tale and author's writing style. Awesome review my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome review! :) I recently read this too and enjoyed it! But I think I might have overhyped it for myself, so I didn't love it as much as I was hoping I would.

    Still, can't wait to read the second book! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm really glad you enjoyed this one! I've had my sights set on it for a while!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Breathe looks like a good book. It sort of reminds me of Under the Never Sky. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm really excited about this one and happy to hear it is action packed. I had no idea it was from three different perspectives. I like multiple perspectives and look forward to seeing how they all connect.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't wait to read Breathe! It sounds really good and knowing it has action helps!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome review! I am looking forward to reading this one! The characters seem super interesting. Thanks for sharing.

    SeeitORreadit

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't wait to read this one and love that it made you ready for the sequel. For me that's really important to get me to pick up the next book.

    - Jessica @ Book Sake

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! I must get started on my ARC soon! So glad to hear that you enjoyed BREATHE. :) The storyline sounds superb, and so do the characters.

    Amazing review, Brandi!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I already have this book on my TBR list because I liked the blurb. This is actually the first review about the book that I have read. I am surprised that it is from 3 POV and not just one. I actually enjoy books with multiple views. This book makes me think of the movie The Lorax. I didn't like the movie. Hopefully I will like the book.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I lOVED this book. It really does send a message too. Awesome review!


    Michelle

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)