Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Review: Elemental by Emily White

Elemental (Elemental Trilogy, #1)

Just because Ella can burn someone to the ground with her mind doesn't mean she should.
But she wants to.
For ten years—ever since she was a small child—Ella has been held prisoner on an interstellar starship. Now that she has escaped, she needs answers.
Who is she? Why was she taken? And who is the boy with the beautiful green eyes who haunts her memories?
Is Ella the prophesied Destructor… or will she be the one who's destroyed?
Published in US: June 5th 2012
Source: Spencer Hill Press for review
1st in Elemental series, the 2nd Fae releases December 10th 2013

My Review:
     All in all, Elemental is an engrossing story, with a unique plot line. Ella is an unlikely hero, and we get to experience with her while she becomes aware of who she is and what she can do. Destined to kill a god, having wings without knowing it and being able to control elements. These are all things that Ella had no idea about herself as she was imprisoned on a space ship.
     It is quite a journey as she comes to grips with these things. And as new people come into her life, some that she can trust and others that she learns the hard way that she can't. All the while a mysterious guy who makes her feel alive, and heals her with his very presence comes onto the scene. But it can't be perfect for her, because one minute he is distant, and the next she finds out that he's hiding things from her. Cailen is very  intriguing character and the memories that she has of his eyes, a friend when she was a child is quite a twist. Because how did he get from that boy to the man in front of her. I really hope that we get more of Cailen and Ella in the sequel Fae. I think it was fitting that romance didn't take a forefront in Elemental, but I hope it can in the next book.
     The relationship between Ella and Meir is written beautifully. I love the trust and father/daughter type bond that they have. He is a rock to her and it is refreshing to read about that dynamic.
     The terminology in the book kinda threw me for a loop, the different names of religions, gods and the societies, but I pretty much got used to it. I think that I am just not used to it, because fantasy/sci-fi isn't my primary focus.
      Elemental is paced well, and there is always something new to discover and new twists being thrown in there. I will say it's pretty violent and Ella is hurt a lot. It doesn't take away from the story really, but it is a bit distracting at times... what will be injured next kind of thing. But I guess that adds to her relatability. She doesn't wake up a superwoman, she has to come into herself, and struggle through the pain. I had so many questions that at the moment I wanted answered right then and there, but I think that in the end that only helped me to bond with Ella more, because I am almost as in the dark as she is, and we discover everything together.
      Bottom line: I liked Ella's character and once I just let myself go and enjoy the story she had to tell instead of being so caught up in terminology and unanswered questions, I went on quite a fun and action packed literary journey with her.
Pin It

8 comments:

  1. I'm glad you could get into this one and like it. I stopped after like 60 pages I was just too lost haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ever since I saw the blurb about this book, I have been interested. I like that you said that it has a good pace with surprises and twists. That sounds good to me and I can't wait to read it! Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like such a good read! TBR!!
    Fell free to stop by my blog!

    http://thecrossbreeds.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have convinced me that I will like this book, I like books like this that are written well, and have paranormal or supernatural elements to the story. Keeps me interested. :) Great review by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book sounds really good to me, and I do believe that I will read it. But, I have heard about as many good things as not so good things. I try not to let other reviews influence my decision to read a book, though. I don't think I will let it happen this time, either. Especially after your review. It gives me hope that I won't be too disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard mixed things about this book but it sounds like you enjoyed it, so I'll give it a go. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bought this one awhile ago but haven't had a chance to read it. Didn't realize it would be super violent but I like action. I rarely see any good father/daughter relationships in YA.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)