Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Review: One Moment by Kristina McBride

One Moment

This was supposed to be the best summer of Maggie's life. Now it's the one she'd do anything to forget.
Maggie remembers hanging out at the gorge with her closest friends after a blowout party. She remembers climbing the trail with her perfect boyfriend, Joey. She remembers that last kiss, soft, lingering, and meant to reassure her. So why can't she remember what happened in the moment before they were supposed to dive? Why was she left cowering at the top of the cliff, while Joey floated in the water below-dead?
As Maggie's memories return in snatches, nothing seems to make sense. Why was Joey acting so strangely at the party? Where did he go after taking her home? And if Joey was keeping these secrets, what else was he hiding?
Published in US:  June 26th 2012
Source: Netgalley

My Review:
     This is a contemporary with a lot of emotion, that is for sure. I love how it was written where we have this big dramatic scene at the beginning where Joey dies. The catch? Maggie can't remember what happened, and we piece everything together right along with her. I like how Kristina McBride wrote in the memories of Joey, while at the same time, revealing not so savory stuff about him that Maggie didn't know before. I got to see why their relationship worked and why she is so messed up about it, while at the same time feeling this rage against a book boy. Like her, I am caught in the middle of a mess he left behind.
     The title is so fitting, One Moment. Because it really is mind blowing how just one moment, that may even seem insignificant at the time can change things so much, and then there are those big moments, happy or sad that you know is going to effect your life, even if you know know how.
    My only complaint is that I wished that we figured out what exactly happened sooner so that we could see more growth in Maggie instead of basically being told about it. I also pieced together what happened pretty far ahead of Maggie, but I don't think that took away from my reading experience.
     I liked how it ended, tied up but still loose at the same time, with her making peace, and being able to start moving on, while still holding on the right amount to be healthy, or at least on the road to getting there. 
Pin It

11 comments:

  1. I heard a lot of great things about this book anf I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book sounds really good, thanks for the review!
    -Danna

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen this at NG I think, glad to know you weren't disappointed with the story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a box of tissues might be needed. Great review, thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I couldn't agree more! Great review!

    Tanja @ Ja čitam, a ti?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I share the exact same feelings on the ending :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This one reminds me of Notes To Self by Avery Sawyer. It is the same kind of premise except it is two best friends. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)