Friday, July 27, 2012

Review: Whisper by Chrissie Keighery

Whisper
Whisper by Chrissie Keighery (Perry)
Fifteen-year-old Demi's world is shattered when she is left profoundly deaf by a sudden illness. Everything is different now, and Demi must learn to adapt to a new school, new friends and even learn a whole new language.
Whisper is a coming-of-age tale, about discovering who you are and where you fit in life. About friendships and first love and, most of all, learning to love the person you are.
Published July 2012
Source: Author/Templar for honest review

Blkosiner's Book Blog review
    I don't think that I have ever read anything about a deaf main character, and it definitely opened my eyes to people with disabilities. Demi's struggles are so raw and emotional and Chrissie handles them and the issues brought up in this book so well.
    Demi starts going to a school for the deaf, and she meets other students, and we get a glimpse into their struggles. There are some who sign and speak, some who can read lips, some who can't, some who are non-verbal. As Demi got to know them better, so did I. Keisha was one of my favorite secondary characters. She is so bright and bubbly, and brings a neat perspective to the story.
   As for Demi, I cannot imagine what it would be like to have hearing and then all of the sudden be plunged into a world without sound. But I do get an idea because of this story. Demi worked through some of her issues on her own, some with the help of her new friends, and some of them through her old friends.
   Ethan is the love interest in this book, and he amazes me. He never made Demi's deafness and issue, and approached it with maturity that made me respect him all the more. Their romance was sweet and while it didn't take front seat to the story, I think that it added to the overall theme of Demi trying to figure out how to fit the separate pieces of her world into a beautiful picture.
   I really love the imagery one of the characters, Stella, paints (well photographs) of Demi juggling the two worlds, the deaf community and the "hearies" as they call those who can hear. I also bring really appreciated the innocence and love that Demi's nephews brought to the story. One line almost made me cry:
"It doesn't matter if she's deaf," he says. "My aunty Demi can listen with her eyes and whisper with her hands."
     This is beautifully written and it never felt forced. All of the issues that arose seemed genuine and I think that the emotions and how the characters reacted were true to life. I empathized with them and wanted the best for them.

My question to you, my lovely readers:
Do you know anyone who is deaf? Do you know any sign language?
Pin It

25 comments:

  1. I am so sure I read a review of this one here before..or maybe it was just a WoW :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know anyone who is deaf. We have hearing impaired students once in a while. I did learn the alphabet in sign language, but I think it would be cool to learn. I just wouldn't have anyone to practice with. Sounds like a unique book. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the alphabet too, that is as far as I got.

      Delete
  3. Oh another one I didn't know about, it's BAD! It sounds nice and I like the cover. I haven't read a book about a character like that it sounds unique. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw a review on someone's blog, but I'd never heard of it before then.

      Delete
  4. What a lovely review! I have not heard of this one before, but after reading what you shared, I think I would enjoy it. Thanks a lot!

    I don't know anyone who is deaf and I don't know sign language. I once met a staff member in an Apple store. He had hearing disability and we 'chatted about Apple products' via texting. He was so observant, and I was amazed by how little I needed to text before he offered me with a solution. It was one of my best experiences in an Apple store :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am curious about how the dialogue was done in this book because if the main character is deaf how would the reader be able to "hear" what other characters are saying.

    I have known two people who are deaf, a friend of my mom who I believe was born deaf, he actually met his wife online and she is deaf too but I haven't met her. And while I was in high school there was a girl in the year I think below me that was also deaf, unlike my mom's friend she used official sign language. My mom's friend could say a few words and would use hand gestures, he could also understand us pretty well but I wasn't sure how I only met him in passing. I had difficulty talking with him but my mom had no problems at all having conversations with him.

    Since high school I have wanted to learn sign language but I only got as far as learning how to sign the alphabet but since then I have forgotten most of the letters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dialogue was done well. It was just translated what they were signing, and since she understood it was flawless.

      Delete
  6. This sounds interesting, and I haven't read anything like it other then Helen Keller. Awesome review, I love that it didn't feel forced and was beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't either! It amazes me when an author deals with such a unique subject like this

      Delete
  7. Great review! I have not heard of this one before but it sounds very unique. The author's writing style sounds very engaging. Thanks for sharing.

    SeeitORreadit


    ReplyDelete
  8. I hadn't heard of this before but your description has me really wanting to read it! I have a friend who is pretty deaf but can hear with hearing aids (so not really) but I have known people in the past. I wish I knew sign language! That would be a great skill to have though I probably wouldn't be able to use it much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could always volunteer, I am sure that school for the deaf or communities have programs :)

      Delete
  9. It is such a different concept. I can't wait to read it. I know sign language.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds like a really lovely story!

    I used to be in horse 4H with a hearing-impaired girl. Her mom would stand in the center of the show ring and sign the judge's commands to her. I only know how to sign my name!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you chose your sign name or did your friend?

      Delete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! New book for me. Thanks for the review, excuse me while I dash off to add to my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great review! I don't know anyone who is deaf, but I know a bit of sing language, letters mostly.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounds like an amazing journey! I love books where characters deal with tough life circumstances. I just read What I Didn't Say where he loses his voice and it was amazing too. It would be so so hard to lose your hearing. I'm glad she has a sweet and understanding love interest like Ethan.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)