Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Review: Never Enough by Denise Jaden

Never Enough
Never Enough by Denise Jaden

From the author of Losing Faith, a novel about two sisters and the eating disorder that threatens to destroy their family.
Loann’s always wanted to be popular and pretty like her sister, Claire. So when Claire’s ex-boyfriend starts flirting with her, Loann is willing to do whatever it takes to feel special… even if that means betraying her sister.
But as Loann slips inside Claire’s world, she discovers that everything is not as it seems. Claire’s quest for perfection is all-consuming, and comes at a dangerous price. As Claire increasingly withdraws from friends and family, Loann struggles to understand her and make amends. Can she heal their relationship —and her sister—before it’s too late?
Publishes in US: July 10th 2012
 Source: Galley Grab

     This is a powerful novel dealing gracefully with very sensitive subjects. It is gritty and tough to read at points because of all of the issues the characters I came to love were dealing with. It is hard stuff, stuff that teens should never have to deal with but they do everyday. Bullying, peer pressure, abuse, and eating disorders. We see how things effect the families and recipients of these tough issues and how painful and lonely it can be.
     I think that I've only read about people with eating disorders from inside the mind of the one with the disorder, and as someone who has struggled with anorexia and bulimia in high school, I can relate with this, I know that sort of pain. What is new here is the narrator, Loann is the sister of Claire, the one with the eating disorder. You get a whole new perspective of the pain of not being able to get through to the one dealing with the food and body image perception issues. Loann is the first to notice, and she doesn't really know how to help or what to do, she also doesn't know the extent of the problem.
     It is hard to read about how each sister admires and is jealous of the other, they don't see their own beauty and perfections, only their flaws. I think that is so common though. Many have such self esteem issues that they don't know how to find the good in themselves.
     I also love the character of Marcus. He is such a perfect and frustrating nerd/love interest/friend. But it is so genuine. He has so much to hide but also so much to offer. I love his interactions with Loann, their sarcasm and dry humor towards one another, and how they slowly build their friendship one piece at a time. I know he's shy and like I said, has things to hide, but it is frustratingly cute how slow he is to admit his feelings and act on them. I love his sweet gestures like the photo developing supplies, and the cutout picture too.
    Never Enough was well paced and kept my attention the whole time, even when I felt like I needed a box of tissues beside me. Loann is a fighter and I admire her, and I hate that Claire had to go down such a hard and sad road, she really broke my heart. The love in here is true to life and I appreciated the different take on it. 
Pin It

15 comments:

  1. Wow this story sounds sad. I remember seeing a case like this on Oprah years ago. Thanks for sharing this new read with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought Marcus was such a great character-I really loved the time we got to spend with him. I also loved the messy sister relationship-I have a sister and there were some things that really rang true to me although thankfully not the eating disorder part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marcus was great. Really reminded my of some of my nerdy guy friends in high school

      Delete
  3. I need to give this author a try. I’ve been meaning to :) Thanks for the great review! This sounds like a heartbreaking read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's great, and wonderful to email with as well.

      Delete
  4. So desperate to read this. There are hardly any YA books that deal with such serious issues like eating disorders so I'm curious to see how the author deals with such a fragile matter.

    Great review, Brandi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does it so well. Hope you get a chance to read it.
      I have a few others that I can recommend if you want.

      Delete
  5. The poor thing is called 'Loann'? Do you pronounce it 'loan'? 'Hunger' is also a nice take on eating disorders, though it's more fantastical/paranormal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Actually thought same thing at first. In my head I said "Low Anne"
      though I did like her nickname Loey.

      Delete
  6. reading this now
    i agree its sad but must read
    gr8 review

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really love Denise and I can't wait to read this one. I'm happy to hear this was a very powerful and amazing story. Next week Denise is on Novels, News & Notes (a collaborative blog I founded) with an interview and giveaway and she was awesome to work with!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds interesting but I think this is one of those books that I'd have to be in the right mood to read.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful review I really enjoyed this one too and I agree it was a great written book and she took very serious issues to make a poignant but not overly angsty novel.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i can see the jealousy issues being something that a lot of girls can relate to.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)