Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Review: God is in the Pancakes

God is in the PancakesGod is in the Pancakes by Robin Epstein

Description from and link goes to Goodreads.com

" Fifteen-year-old Grace Manning is a candy striper in a nursing home, and Mr. Sands is the one patient who makes the job bearable. He keeps up with her sarcasm, teaches her to play poker . . . and one day cheerfully asks her to help him die. At first Grace says no way, but as Mr. Sands’s disease progresses, she’s not so sure. Grace tries to avoid the wrenching decision by praying for a miracle, stuffing herself with pancakes, and running away from all feelings, including the new ones she has for her best friend Eric. But Mr. Sands is getting worse, and she can’t avoid him forever."

**My rating: 4 of 5 stars**

*My short but sweet review*
This book really caught my attention. Grace is a believable teenage girl, who is struggling to make sense of the big questions in her life. And they really are challenging- she is dealing with her dad who left, a rocky relationship with her mother, and a special patient she works with asks her to help him end his life.
I love the repertoire between Mr Sands and Grace- it is awesome, and reminds me why I just love old people sometimes.
It forced me to think about what I would do in Grace's position and what I would want if I were in Mr Sands' position with a degenerative illness.

The romance is this book is simple and cute. It buds from best friends to a sweet relationship. But it is not a prominent feature, and sometimes that is refreshing.

I would love to hear what you think, and if you have reviewed, feel free to leave me a link to check out.


3 comments:

  1. This is cool? I wonder whatever happen to them. This is interesting read. Thanks for sharing =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard about this. It sounds different...in a good way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really did enjoy- you should read when you have time.

    Thanks for the award!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)