Thursday, July 8, 2010

Review: Tyger Tyger

Tyger Tyger by Kersten Hamilton

First in Goblin Wars Books

Description from and link goes to Goodreads.com

"Teagan Wylltson's best friend, Abby, dreams that horrifying creatures--goblins, shape-shifters, and beings of unearthly beauty but terrible cruelty--are hunting Teagan. Abby is always coming up with crazy stuff, though, so Teagan isn't worried. Her life isn't in danger. In fact, it's perfect. She's on track for a college scholarship. She has a great job. She's focused on school, work, and her future. No boys, no heartaches, no problems.

Until Finn Mac Cumhaill arrives. Finn's a bit on the unearthly beautiful side himself. He has a killer accent and a knee-weakening smile. And either he's crazy or he's been haunting Abby's dreams, because he's talking about goblins, too . . . and about being The Mac Cumhaill, born to fight all goblin-kind. Finn knows a thing or two about fighting. Which is a very good thing, because this time, Abby's right. The goblins are coming."

**My Rating: 4/5**

*My short but sweet review*
This was a fast paced, exciting story! I really enjoyed it, though I was a bit skeptical of the goblin part. However, the story is derived from Celtic stories and it was done beautifully. There is a sub-plot of romance, which is how I like my stories, and there was a beautiful brother and sister connection. Speaking of, I love that the ASL is put in the story.
The characters are easy to love, and root for!
The only reason it didn't get 5 stars is that I believe that a major event that happens was glossed over, and should have either been divided into parts or spent more time on. A great emotional response could have been evoked from readers, but instead I found myself turning back and going-- WHA? Oh. Um ok.
But other than that-- wonderful read-- mark your calendars!!

I would love to hear what you think! Also, if you want to link your review, I would love to read :D

12 comments:

  1. I was also skeptical of the goblin thing but ended up really enjoying the book! Glad to see others loved it as well :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been hearing so much buzz about this book this week that it's giving me a serious case of book envy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really loved this too and wonder what the author thinks of everyone being upset about that event being skipped (I've seen that in a lot of reviews).

    Overall, I'm really looking forward to the next in the series. I got a chance to interview the author a while back. You can check it out here if you want :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Thank you for the great review, Brandi! I'm so glad you liked my book. I must warn everyone that the next one is very scary...

    Tara -- I have some insight into what the author thinks of everyone being upset over a certain event being skipped. :) But no one has asked me before.

    I had to make a hard decision with that scene— going further into it would have stalled and even derailed the plot and pace of the book. I chose instead the elements that were important to moving the plot forward: the effect on each member of the Wylltson family. It was the right choice for the story.

    This story, like our world, is not safe, but it is good.

    I think some readers feel the grief I felt as I wrote that scene, and every one of us works through grief in a different way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That makes sense Kersten. Everyone does process grief, and thinking back, you can see that the family took it hard in their own ways, especially when their dad lost his memory and Aiden and Tea didn't want to break it to him then.

    I guess I was just a little confused b/c I know some books will have a -- months passed-- and I did figure it out really quickly

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think in the final version the book will be in three parts, and that makes it a little easier to transition.

    I love your review.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks :D
    I love your book!

    Ah-- the three parts makes a lot of sense!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the response Kersten! I think you made the right choice for this story and agree that it being broken up into 3 parts will help with the transition.

    I'm excited to hear the next one will be scarier! Now I'm going to spend all night wondering about what will happen lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was upset about the glossed over part too. I reviewed this on fantasticfantasyfanatic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't written my review for it yet... but I wasn't expecting to like it. However I don't think I've finished a book that fast since Twilight! This was an incredibly addicting story!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've heard great things about this one. Great review. I'm looking forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I won this one, but haven't got it yet. I've heard some great things though and I'm very excited to read it!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)