Saturday, July 17, 2010

Review: The Iron King

The Iron King by Julie Kagawa

Book one of The Iron Fey

Description from and link goes to Goodreads.com

" Meghan Chase has never fit in at her small-town high school, and now, on the eve of her 16th birthday, she discovers why. When her half brother is kidnapped, Meghan is drawn into a fantastical world she never imagined--the world of Faery, where anything you see may try to eat you, and Meghan is the daughter of the summer faery king. Now she will journey into the depths of Faery to face an unknown enemy . . . and beg the help of a winter prince who might as soon kill her as let her touch his icy heart. The Iron King is the first book in the Iron Fey series."

**Rating: 4/5**


*My short but sweet review*
Okay, so ask me a few months ago if I read faery stories then I would have answered with a resounding no, but thanks to Tyger Tyger by Hamilton and The Iron King, I am accepting now. 
Kagawa creates a beautiful world, and her descriptions are detailed without bogging down the story. She has transformed characters that come from Shakespeare and made me relate to them and care about what they are going through. Grim is an amazing addition- he is the awesome sidekick in my opinion. 
And before I picked up this book, I heard so much about Team Ash and Team Puck, and I don't see how there can be any question-- Puck is too much like a brother to me. I really like Ash, but I am a sucker for the dark, handsome and mysterious I guess. 
The only reason I took away a star though, is I feel like there isn't much transitioning from Meghan disliking Ash to falling in love with him, which I guess can be said for other YA novels, but I would have liked to see a little more. Given, I did like the cuddling and the peek at the vulnerability in Ash.
Oh, and the cover!!!! I have been drawn to it since I started seeing it on blogs, but put it down due to the fey contents, but am I glad that I decided to give it a chance. 


I would love to hear what you think, and if you want to share your review, I would be glad to read and comment.
Oh and make sure to tell me which Team you are on!


The Iron King book trailer:

6 comments:

  1. I can't believe I haven't read this one yet! Your review only made me more desperate; thanks for that. ;)
    Love, Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Popped by from the blog hop and couldn't resist answering this post. I love Faery stories and am so glad to see them coming back! :) I am looking forward to reading this one. Thanks for the fine review!

    Julianne
    Café Pearl
    http://julismapsroom.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. As much as I loved The Iron King, I loved the second book (The Iron Daughter) even more :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i really want this book, god knows when they will release it in the UK

    btw thanks for becoming a new follower of my blog xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for reviewing! Also, to Busy Mom--Iron King will be released in the UK in 2011, though I'm not sure of the month yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I only read this really recently too! You hit the nail on the head with the transitioning thing! I totally forgot that it annoyed me until now.

    At the end of this book I couldn't choose which boy I like best. I'm a third of the way through Iron Daughter and I'm leaning towards Team Puck just for all the times Ash has hurt her so far even if it was necessary.

    Here's my review if you want to stop by :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)