Sunday, July 25, 2010

Review: The Iron Daughter


The Iron Daughter (Iron Fey, #2) Iron Daughter by Julie Kagawa
2nd book in the Iron Fey Series (The Iron King is 1st)
Release Date: Aug 1 2010
 Link goes to and description from goodreads.com
"Half Summer faery princess, half human, Meghan has never fit in anywhere. Deserted by the Winter prince she thought loved her, she is prisoner to the Winter faery queen. As war looms between Summer and Winter, Meghan knows that the real danger comes from the Iron Fey, iron-bound faeries that only she and her absent prince have seen. But no one believes her. Worse, Meghan's own fey powers have been cut off. She's alone in Faery with only her wits for help. Trusting anyone would be foolish. Trusting a seeming traitor could be deadly. But even as she grows a backbone of iron, Meghan can't help but hear the whispers of longing in her all-too-human heart."

Kagawa has written another masterpiece. I really like Meghan and I can see myself making similar decisions and having similar mindset. So, I connect with her well. This is set up to where we doubt Ash at least in the beginning (can’t say if that changes, don’t want to spoil anything) and I know that I couldn’t decide if he really didn’t care or if he was actually acting that way to protect Meghan. Though we get those glimpses into the tender side of him and I love them! Though they are usually quickly followed by Ash making a remark that brings on the doubt again, and you just want to smack him.
And then there is the love triangle, because you know that Puck has to come back. :D Maybe I just have something for the immortal men who are icy, but mmm, I am def Team Ash. Speaking of them both- the interactions between them was wonderful- the bantering and the constant back and forth amused me.
We have the enemy who is doing the hide in the shadows and make the other two doubt one another and take themselves out before they even notice the enemy lurking, waiting, and watching you do their job for them.
My issue is that in the beginning, Meghan is unable to help in the battle scenes. I understand that it would not be a story for her to be all powerful once she realized that she was able to work with the glamour, but I just wish she could do something… Although I guess that in Iron King, she did use her mind a lot, and was able to come through in the important places. I love to watch her learn though, and as the cover description says “grow a backbone of iron.” I hate trying to review and talk about it and not be spoilerish, but I guess that I should say that given that description my issue with Meghan dissolves, even though she can only help in what can be viewed as a really small way, and I love that it really shows up when she needs to save the ones she loves.
And wowsers, what an ending!! I can’t wait to see how things will play out, and I totally did not expect the court’s decisions.

Great quotes non-spoiler: “You haven’t spoken since his royal iciness left.”
“This isn’t a game Meghan, the sh*t is about to hit the fan, and you’re right in the middle of it not knowing enough to duck.”
“What if I take you apart and turn you into a toaster oven, how would you like that tin can?”

I would love to hear what you think, and if you have written a review, feel free to post link!

11 comments:

  1. I started reading this last night and I'm 150 pages in and OMG I am IN LOVE! This is so much more intense than The Iron King!

    I LOVE Puck! He's hilarious! I loved how he told Meghan that "shit is about to hit the fan" I literally laughed out loud and my husband looked at me like I was crazy cause I was in my corner giggling to myself haha!! And I love his threats to the iron horse!

    I can't wait to finish this book but at the same time I don't because then I won't have anything until next year! Ahhhhhhh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely *LOVED* this book! I'm Team Ash only for the reason that I want Puck for myself! hehehe I wish I could live in the Nevernever!

    I thought the ending was a shocker too! I don't know how Kagawa is going to work that one out!

    My review is here: http://theramblingsofabookaddict.blogspot.com/2010/07/review-iron-daughter.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I chose Puck because he's just so similar to myself! I'm big on the jokes and I'm generally a really happy person like him. I always prefer comedic characters to the serious ones in books!

    Yeah, I thought the whole time that he only acted the way he did to protect Meghan. I was thinking there was no way they went through all of that in the first book just to forget about it.

    I'm excited for the next one too! Unfortunately this one just came out so we're gonna have a bit of a wait! :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I so want to read this book series. Every review that I've read so far (yours included) has just increased this desperate need to get this book series. Must go shopping this weekend. Thoroughly enjoyed reading your review and loved the his royal iciness quote :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eep, I want to read this so badly! I guess I only have a week to wait, but your review is seriously making the wait more painful, haha. Love those quotes, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so excited to read this book! thanks for the review and sharing the quotes. :)

    -Len-
    Musings of a Reader Happy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone!

    @Monica- I can see how Puck could have his appeal, he just seems very big brotherish to me. But that is ok, you take puck and I will steal Ash from meg.

    I have a few ideas about how she might work it out, but I could be totally wrong.

    @Marie-- I totally loved their interactions too. Tin can, lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great Review! Great Quotes! :)

    I absolutely loved this book! If you wanna see my thoughts they're here:

    http://sliceof-love.blogspot.com/2010/07/my-thoughts-on-iron-daughter.html

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This book is my newest obsession. It's been days since I've finished it and I'm still constantly thinking about it. I'm team Ash all the way. I have a few ideas on how Kagawa is going to fix all the stuff that happened in this book, but Kagawa always surprises me so who knows. I really don't want to wait 6 months for Iron Queen!!!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)