Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Review: Hunger by Kessler

Hunger (Horsemen of the Apocalypse, #1)Hunger by Jackie Morse Kessler

Book 1 of Horsemen of the Apocalypse

Link goes to and description from Goodreads.com

"“Thou art the Black Rider. Go thee out unto the world.”

Lisabeth Lewis has a black steed, a set of scales, and a new job: she’s been appointed Famine. How will an anorexic seventeen-year-old girl from the suburbs fare as one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse?

Traveling the world on her steed gives Lisa freedom from her troubles at home: her constant battle with hunger, and her struggle to hide it from the people who care about her. But being Famine forces her to go places where hunger is a painful part of everyday life, and to face the horrifying effects of her phenomenal power. Can Lisa find a way to harness that power — and the courage to battle her own inner demons?"


*My short but sweet review*
This was a quick read, and it dealt with some great subject material. Though, I liked the secondary characters more than I liked Lisa. Her struggle was conveyed well, both with food, and with this job thrust upon her-- Famine- one of the Horsemen of the Apocalypse. I just didn't connect with her as well as some other main characters, nothing particular that I didn't like.
I am a fan of Moonlight, her horse, and Death-- his random "yo"s and dark sense of humor did it for me.
The plot is original, and something that I have never thought about or heard about before, an anoretic being Famine-- but it makes sense.


You may also like: Wintergirls, After

I would love to hear what you think and if you have reviewed, please link and I will read and comment.

6 comments:

  1. I have this one for review and I'm glad to hear its a quick read! Will make it a little sooner onto my Kobo knowing that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that's new...anorexia in fantasy. Did you think the eating disorder was handled well? I loved Wintergirls...well, love isn't the right word, but I thought it accurately portrayed the anorexic mind. I worry about other books getting it wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had this for my Waiting on Wednesday a few weeks back! I'm glad to get your viewpoint on it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Alison I think that it was done well. It showed some of the internal struggle with food. There was also a bulimic friend, and I think that as Jess got to see her actions as "famine" and how hunger effected those who were struck by disease and calamity it really gave perspective and egged her to get help.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm, I've seen this one around for quite some time, but have read rather lukewarm reviews for this one. I don't think that this is a book I'd go out of my way to buy, but I'd pick it up if I saw it at my library.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought it was a clever way to address the eating problem issue, definitely something new!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)