Monday, July 12, 2010

Review: Poison Study

Poison Study by Maria Snyder
First in study trilogy- Magic Study and Fire Study follows

Link goes to and description from Goodreads.com

"Choose: A quick death and hell or slow poison and hell.
About to be executed for murder, Yelena is offered an extraordinary reprieve. She'll eat the best meals, have rooms in the palace and risk assassination by anyone trying to kill the Commander of Ixia.
And so Yelena chooses to become a food taster. But the chief of security, leaving nothing to chance, deliberately feeds her Butterfly's Dust and only by appearing for her daily antidote will she delay an agonizing death from the poison.
As Yelena tries to escape her new dilemma, disasters keep mounting. Rebels plot to seize Ixia and Yelena develops magical powers she can't control. Her life is threatened again and choices must be made. But this time the outcomes aren't so clear."

**My Rating: 5/5**

*My short but sweet review*

I admit, it took me a bit to get into this book, but once I did, it blew me away. This is one of the books that helped to cure my PABD (post-amazing book depression) followed by the phenomenon that is Twilight. If you aren't a fan of Twilight, don't stop reading here, because I am not going to compare it and they are really not similar. This book is just amazing. The world is beautifully set up, the characters are well written, and Synder has a refreshing take on magic.

It is a fast paced book, and we little by little learn more about Yelena and why she is in prison to begin with. She makes some awesome friends, and there is romance-- it takes a bit to get there, but that is okay!


I definitely recommend this book and will reread when my TBR pile isn't so daunting.


If you liked the following books you may like this one (or the opposite, if you liked Poison Study you may like these): Glass series by Snyder, Graceling, The Forest of Hands and Teeth, Mortal Instruments series

I would love to hear what you think, and if you have written a review, if you link I will be happy to read and comment!

2 comments:

  1. I really loved this book, but unfortunately didn't like the others in the series as much :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you read the Glass series? It seemed to draw me in like this one did.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)