Friday, July 16, 2010

Review: Looking for Alaska



Link goes to and description from Goodreads.com

" Before. Miles "Pudge" Halter is done with his safe life at home. His whole life has been one big non-event, and his obsession with famous last words has only made him crave "the Great Perhaps" even more (Francois Rabelais, poet). He heads off to the sometimes crazy and anything-but-boring world of Culver Creek Boarding School, and his life becomes the opposite of safe. Because down the hall is Alaska Young. The gorgeous, clever, funny, sexy, self-destructive, screwed up, and utterly fascinating Alaska Young. She is an event unto herself. She pulls Pudge into her world, launches him into the Great Perhaps, and steals his heart. Then . . . After. Nothing is ever the same."

**My rating: 4/5**
*My short but sweet review*
It has been awhile since I have read a book from a guy’s perspective, but I liked it. Pudge is a character that I was able to connect to—not having many friends and then all of the sudden being included into a circle of friends, however misfit they are. Being a book from a misfit’s perspective, of course there are characters that you love to hate. Alaska was a very charismatic character and I loved her quirks and was frustrated by her mood swings, though you begin to understand.
I love the descriptions of things—the fried food, the wrinkled pink shirt being an old lady sunbathing. Needless to say, this book made me chuckle a lot.
It picked back up in the second part, especially with their wonderful prank.
The conclusion was wonderful, I really liked Pudge’s paper.
 You may also like: 13 Reasons Why, Burn Journals, If I Stay, and Hold Still.
I would love to hear what you think, and if you have written a review, feel free to link it. 


2 comments:

  1. I just love John Green...He can do no wrong in my eyes! My Chick Lit Book Club read this book when it first came out. It was well-received by most. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read anything else by him yet, but I like his writing style so I may after my TBR gets more manageable.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)