Monday, July 12, 2010

Review: North of Beautiful

North of Beautiful by Justina Headley

Description from and linked to Goodreads.com

"Born with a port-wine stain birthmark covering her entire right cheek, Terra Rose Cooper is ready to leave her stifling, small Washington town where everyone knows her for her face. With her critical, reproachful father and an obese mother who turns to food to deflect her father's verbal attacks, home life for Terra isn't so great either. Fueled by her artistic desires, she plans to escape to an East Coast college, thinking this is her true path. When her father intercepts her acceptance letter, Terra is pushed off-course, and she is forced to confront her deepest insecurities. After an ironically fortuitous car accident, Terra meets Jacob, a handsome but odd goth Chinese boy who was adopted from China as a toddler. Jacob immediately understands Terra's battle with feeling different. When Terra's older brother invites her and her mother to visit him in Shanghai, Jacob and his mother also join them on their journey, where they all not only confront the truth about themselves, but also realize their own true beauty."

**My Rating: 5/5**


*My short but sweet review*


Love the cover! I love the downcast look, and the compass points, which are both relevant to the story!
I was drawn to this book because it is about internal and real beauty. Terra is very easy to relate to, because we all have our own insecurities and we get to learn through her. This book is compelling, and really makes you think. I got lost with Terra's voice, and it was a complex and winding journey! Jacob is a great love interest-- the goth chinese guy- I mean, what more can you ask for?
I love that the mothers play such a role in this book too, and that Terra's mom is finally able to stand up for herself and her daughter! It is self-discovery on more than one level.


Similar reads: If I stay, Cracked up to be, Story of a girl, Willow, After, Going too far, Breathing


I would love to hear what you think and feel free to link your review if you have one

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)