Thursday, July 15, 2010

Review: Scars by Cheryl Rainfield

Scars by Cheryl Rainfield

Link goes to and description from Goodreads.com

"Kendra, fifteen, hasn't felt safe since she began to recall devastating memories of childhood sexual abuse, especially because she still can't remember the most important detail-- her abuser's identity. Frightened, Kendra believes someone is always watching and following her, leaving menacing messages only she understands. If she lets her guard down even for a minute, it could cost Kendra her life. To relieve the pressure, Kendra cuts; aside from her brilliantly expressive artwork, it's her only way of coping. Since her own mother is too self-absorbed to hear her cries for help, Kendra finds support in others instead: from her therapist and her art teacher, from Sandy, the close family friend who encourages her artwork, and from Meghan, the classmate who's becoming a friend and maybe more. But the truth about Kendra's abuse is just waiting to explode, with startling unforeseen consequences. Scars is the unforgettable story of one girl's frightening path to the truth."

**My rating: 5/5**

*My short but sweet review*
This is a gripping tale of a sexual abuse survivor that deals with cutting. It is dark and unforgettable as you go on a journey with Kendra to remember who her abuser is, and learn to love and trust again. Kendra is a strong character and a survivor, she is easy to root for and you want her to come out on top. I like that this book does not gloss over the fact that cutting cannot be stopped on a dime, and that even if things get brighter, it is still a process that will likely take the rest of your life. However, it does give hope, and she is learning to be happy. 
I recommend for anyone who liked Speak, Cut, Hate List, By the time you read this, I'll be dead, or Willow.
I would love to hear your thoughts, and feel free to link your review if you have written one.

3 comments:

  1. I've wanted to read this book for quite some time now and reading your review has just made me at this to my priority reading list. I also think the cover is one of the most intense and haunting ones I've seen around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a well done cover!
    I recommend reading it when you can, I enjoyed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I personally don't read a lot of books that are about serious themes like this, but I have some students who love these books, so it's always great to find a new one. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)