Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Author Interview: Everything Left Unsaid by Jessica Davidson

Everything Left Unsaid
Everything Left Unsaid by Jessica Davidson
"I wait for him, the cold seeping through my clothes, until it finally dawns on me that he's not coming back. And I wonder why he chose her instead of me? Why he went looking for her when I was right there."
Tai and Juliet have been best friends forever – since they met at kindy and decided to get married in first grade.
They understand each other in the way that only best friends can.
They love music, beach walks, energy drinks and, they are slowly discovering, each other.
As they dream of adventures beyond the HSC – a future free of homework, curfews and parents, a life together – their plans are suddenly and dramatically derailed.
For Tai is sick.
And not everything you wish for can come true.
A poignant story of first love, hope, grief, family, and the twistedness of life.
image and description from Goodreads.com



interview with Blkosiner's Book Blog

--The Twitter version: tell us about your book in 140 characters or less.
Friendship, senior year, beach walks, music, love, life and loss.
--How did you get the idea for the story?
I quite often find myself wondering things like- 'what would happen if...', or 'I wonder what it would be like if...', and sometimes one of those things becomes a story, with enough words to fill a book.
--Which character would you most/least like to have dinner with?
River and Hendrix- they were so much fun to write.
--Do you have any other works in progress? Any teasers or release dates?
I'm always writing, but at the moment I'm just enjoying practicing the craft [of writing].
--What book(s) is your book’s “cousin”? (Similar set-up or style)
'The Fault In Our Stars' by John Green has a similar theme, 'Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist' and 'Naomi and Ely's No Kiss List', both by David Levithan and Rachel Cohn are books with alternating POV narrative.
--What are some of your favorite books? Do you still have much time to read?
I agree with Stephen King who said that if you don't have the time to read, you don't have the time-or the tools- to write. I read a lot- a minimum of two or three books a month. I don't know if I could pick favourite books though- it seems a bit like choosing a favourite child!
--If a fairy godmother told you could be put into the world of your favorite book for 24 hours, which book would you pick and why?
It's not my favourite book- see above- but as a child I was always hoping to stumble across Enid Blyton's Faraway Tree.
--Do you need anything to write (music, coffee, etc)? Are there any songs on your playlist- songs that inspired you or that were playing while you wrote?
Usually just a laptop- though I do find myself making a playlist specifically for what I'm working on. The playlist for Everything Left Unsaid was a lot of fun- there was everything from Placebo to Taylor Swift. When I'm working to a deadline or I'm exceptionally tired (I have three small children), then caffeine is a necessity.

--If you could have any superpower what would you choose?
I've always thought invisibility would be fun.
--Besides writing, what do you like to do in your free time?
Well, I have three small children, so 'free time' doesn't really exist at the moment and even grocery shopping solo feels like a vacation. But I love wandering around in bookstores, and making bread.
--What is one thing you would tell your 15 year old self?
There's nothing wrong with you- there's a lot wrong with the world you live in.
--Is there anything else you want to add or say to your readers?

Lightning round: this or that?
Vanilla or chocolate? Chocolate.
Edward or Jacob? Hmm. Next?
Hockey or soccer? Soccer.
Ebook or paper? I like- and have- both.
Salty or sweet? I want both- in the form of salted caramel anything.
Beach or mountains? Beach.
Phone call or email? Email.
Early bird or night owl? Night owl.
Dog or cat? Cat.
Messy or neat? Neat.
Ninjas or pirates? If they look like Johnny Depp, then pirates.
My question to you, my lovely readers:
Pin It

13 comments:

  1. A poignant story of first love, hope, grief, family, and the twistedness of life? Ooh, I like the sound of this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview! I really enjoyed the author's book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing the interview with us! I think I'm going to check out this book on amazon now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great thing to say to 15 year old you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like a great read, and loved the interview..so true about the world we live in!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Salted caramel, YUM! I LOVED The Fault in Our Stars so knowing it's a similar theme has me curious. I'll have to look this book up! Fantastic interview!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun interview! And the book sounds good, too! Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great interview. Great questions too! Lots of fun. I'm going to have to check out this book!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just finished A Fault in Our Stars so I'm intrigued that it is Everything Left Unsaid's cousin. It sounds interesting and I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wondering around in bookstores is the best kind of past time. ;) Brilliant interview! I like the sound of Everything Left Unsaid and will have to check it out one day. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love how she said grocery shopping alone can feel like a vacation. Boy do I agree. LOL And I love the message to her 15YO self. Great interview! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do that too to come up with stories. "I wonder if..." Happy to know published authors do that too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just recently got into Taylor Swift. =) My daughters love her tho. Great interview!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)